• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC boards (slighty ranty...)

KenM

Banned
Banned
Mark said:
That'd be ridiculous and probably detrimental to the company, customers and products.

And its not detrimental to a comapny when they ignore a statement they made to the public about things they are doing? Now they can't be trusted because they went back on they're word. That makes customers loose faith in them. Just as detrimental.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
KenM said:
And its not detrimental to a comapny when they ignore a statement they made to the public about things they are doing? Now they can't be trusted because they went back on they're word. That makes customers loose faith in them. Just as detrimental.

How are they ignoring their statement when they stick to thier schedule? I'd lose trust if they rushed to release things every time someone leaked things out prematurely.

I have to hijack this for some reason just to comment...

...WotC's official release date for the Revision is July 18th. Or at least, that's what I remember it being...I also remember them saying that they would release the SRD within days of the OFFICIAL release. Its only the 3rd. WotC is not responsible for stores that sell the books early.
[/hijack]

KenM

Banned
Banned
I just want to say to everyone, thanks for not flaming Me and respecting my view. Now that I read other peoples thoughts on it, I have a different view. But i'm getting flamed on the WOTC boards. LOL
:D

Lord Pendragon

First Post
KenM said:

This is silly. You can't pick apart the company's statement in the same way we all pick apart the PH and DMG. WotC said they'd release the new SRD when they released the new edition. They haven't released the new edition, so there's no reason they should release the new SRD.

And even if it takes weeks, they never "gave their word." Failing to meet a release-date isn't going back on an oath or breaking a sacred trust. Delays happen. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
KenM said:
I just want to say to everyone, thanks for not flaming Me and respecting my view. Now that I read other peoples thoughts on it, I have a different view. But i'm getting flamed on the WOTC boards. LOL
:D

LOL Which, oddly enough, brings the thread full circle and back on topic! LOL :p

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:

I have to hijack this for some reason just to comment...

...WotC's official release date for the Revision is July 18th. Or at least, that's what I remember it being...I also remember them saying that they would release the SRD within days of the OFFICIAL release. Its only the 3rd. WotC is not responsible for stores that sell the books early.
[/hijack]

Yup. The shop I go to sticks by the date given, which I remember also as the 18th. Heck, the shop owner is erring on the side of caution, since he thinks the date is the end of July. Anyway, WotC promised to update the SRD when the books are available, which I always assume to mean the official release date. I don't remember what it was, but I know it was mid-to-late July, not the beginning. I'd have expected them to release it at GenCon, but I guess that's not the case, right?

On the nature of internet bulletin boards

As a student of the English language, I have taken several courses on the nature of on-line communications, and while the theories are of little relevance to this conversation, I do think that something bears repeating: somebody does own this place.

What I mean is that when we're surfing on our high speed internet cable, effortlessly and quickly communicating with people half a world away, we tend to forget that someone is paying for this service, and I don't mean our thirty dollar AOL bill. I mean the cost of hosting such a place, with which people such as Morrus, or companies such as WotC, are very familar. This is not a public forum, townhall, or local streetcorner. A better analogy is someone's office, desk, or living room.

That said, WotC bulletin boards, like these or any other internet boards, are not under any obligation to let you say what you want to say. Its their boards, their rules, and their moderators are perfectly within their rights to guide a conversation the way they want. Considering the abuse posters over there tend to heap upon their friends and co-workers, I personally do not consider any of their actions to be extreme.

Also, on the nature of WotC's responsibility to their consumers: they have none. Their job is to create and market a product, and as far as anyone who posts on these (or other d20 boards) they do an excellent job. While there are ethical concerns that any company has, these usually pertain to discrimination practices and dishonest advertising, and not nit-picks about news releases for other products. That said, even if WotC is a big evil corporation, that is no reason to level abuse at another person just because you don't have a PDF to play a game. The amount of verbal poison that gets leveled at other people through the faceless medium of the internet is (and get ready for some poison right here) immature, irresponsible, and cowardly. If one is truly dissatisfied with the performance of a company, a private e-mail, well written and personally signed, is better than a childish post bent on internet crucifixion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads