WotC changes how D&D mini's are going to be sold.

Digital M@

Explorer
This is absolutely untrue. Production cost may be fixed (or close to it), but there is an awful lot more that goes into the cost of a mini than production. In fact, production cost is probably well under half the overall cost; that's true for most consumer goods.

In the random-vs.-nonrandom scenario, the single biggest cost variable is the cost of unsold product. The cost of every unsold unit of product is a direct tax on the profitability of the item. In a randomization scheme, you only have to roll the dice on production numbers a few times a year. In this new scheme, WotC has to get the numbers right for each individual SKU--and it's more complicated, because the consumer response to each SKU might be different.

To account for this, WotC's product P&L must include a cost for unsold product, and that means their costs go up.

[To further complicate things, it's not only WotC that has to deal with this. The distributors and retailers also face an increased inventory risk and an associated cost. So at the end of the chain, the price you pay reflects this increased inventory risk three times over! Merric's law rears its ugly head!]

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Now add this to the fact that you have to order product in 20' or 40' containers from China and it makes it next to impossible to fine tune inventories so the risks of unsold SKUs and not having enough of high selling SKUs is even higher

justanobody

Banned
Banned
I still think the minis should be made locally and avoid the entire ship from China aspect.

I would really be interested in the exact numbers of why China is cheaper with shipping costs by boat or plain.

Are more minis being shipped to Australia than North America, or do more minis stay local to China than ship?

Dire Bare

Legend
I still think the minis should be made locally and avoid the entire ship from China aspect.

I would really be interested in the exact numbers of why China is cheaper with shipping costs by boat or plain.

Are more minis being shipped to Australia than North America, or do more minis stay local to China than ship?
While I would love bringing more manufacturing back to the good old USA, there is a reason why everything is made in China. It's just flat out cheaper, despite the need to ship product.

Made in USA for D&D Minis (and practically everything else) would only increase costs significantly further.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
While I would love bringing more manufacturing back to the good old USA, there is a reason why everything is made in China. It's just flat out cheaper, despite the need to ship product.

Made in USA for D&D Minis (and practically everything else) would only increase costs significantly further.

Is it something only China has access to? The materials are only found there?

darjr

I crit!
Printing in 3D in sufficient detail, and with several color plastics, is just around the corner...

Well, we'll see it in my life time, I hope.

We'll see it in my life time, I think, because the usefulness of 3D printing of this type is high.

but I'd bet on much sooner rather than later.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Printing in 3D in sufficient detail, and with several color plastics, is just around the corner...

Well, we'll see it in my life time, I hope.

We'll see it in my life time, I think, because the usefulness of 3D printing of this type is high.

but I'd bet on much sooner rather than later.

Then you just order your vmini from DDI, and print it out at home and don't even bother with random anything anymore!

Shipping cost, removed
Mold making costs, removed
Painting costs, removed
Molding costs, removed.

I would be looking at about 10 cents per ANY mini at that time as all material costs would be for me to supply in my own printer.

Even allowing for custom paint jobs by altering the plastic flour and glues used to make the mini to swap colors out.

So when you print your PC from Character Visualizer, you REALLY print your PC out!

Yup, and The Village People DVD videos collections.;)

YMCA!

justanobody

Banned
Banned
:)

I should have stated that I was talking about 'industrial' printing.

But I do think personal 3D printers are on their way.

I was being 1000% serious. I cannot wait for the day 3D printers are affordable for home use. Of course it would make IP/copyright lawyers have heart attacks when they are attached to existing 3D scanners, but oh well!

Need a replacement part for something then just print/scan it off!

Labour costs for things would skyrocket but parts cost may come down quite a bit!

And think what would happen to gas prices when less shipping is needed for things, and then food prices soon to follow!

The day gas prices are once again lower than their octane rating I hope to see in my lifetime, unless we can finally convert to electric/other before then!

darjr

I crit!
Ah, I can't wait either.

Scott? I really like the changes to the miniatures. I've bought quite a few. Recently I have not been happy with the quality and have not bought nearly as many. I will buy more new mini's under this plan.

Remove ads