• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC comes to you and asks you to pick a setting...

Which setting would most effectively model the rules as a new core setting?

• Blackmoor

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • City State of the Invincible Overlord

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • Codex Arcanis

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Codex of Erde

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Dawnforge

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Eberron

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 126 21.8%
  • Freeport

• Greyhawk

Votes: 181 31.3%
  • Iron Kingdoms

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Midnight

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Morningstar

• Oathbound

• Ravenloft

• Scarred Lands

• The Hunt: Rise of Evil

• You idiot! You forgot _________!

Votes: 37 6.4%

radferth

First Post
Scarred Lands

Greyhawk is still my favorite all time setting (it must be that Darlene map), Kalamar definitely deserves a spot in the poll (though I don't much care for it); but Scarred Lands is archetypical 3rd ed. setting. My reasoning:

Greyhawk (which I love) and FR (which I don't) both have lots of early edition baggage.

Eberon (and most of the other choices with which I am familiar) are not traditional fantasy settings. Many of them are good fantasy settings, many make more sense than traditional fantasy settings if one assumes magic is prevalent, but they are not what the average LOTR-reading (or watching), Warcraft- and Diablo-playing new player expects to see. Gandalf may not have chucked fireballs or teleported, but I can image him doing those things. I can't imagine him taking the train to Minis Tirith, or dragging a damaged warforged into Elrond's garage for a tune-up.

Scarred Lands grew up with 3.0 D&D, and works well with all the gajillion SL supplements (assuming you can find what you are trying to look up); but it also works well with just the core D&D three and the Ghelspahd book.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Yeah..if you don't mind people tripping over the names and such... :p

Now, now, Nightfall.... ;)

Don't make me remind you that KoK names are based on the individual's language, enabling players to immediately recognize a name from a particular region, unlike GH and FR. ;)

Also, there are no troublesome names in GH (Erythnul, Fharlanghn, Heironeous) or FR (Morndinsamman, Menzoberranzan, Uthgardt), right?

:) :) :) :)

kolikeos

First Post
you idiot! you forgot planescape!

well, i don't like most of the other settings and grayhawk has set the norm for what 'normal' is, so i'd go with grayhawk even though i didn't know the normal setting had a name until quite resently.

Coredump

Explorer
Mark Plemmons said:
Don't make me remind you that KoK names are based on the individual's language, enabling players to immediately recognize a name from a particular region, unlike GH and FR. ;)

My players are new to KoK, and they are starting to notice. Last session they noticed the NPC had a 'different' sounding name. It was Brandobian, and we are playing in Ren Bay.

It is the small touches that seem to add so much.

I went with Scarred Lands.

First setting, aside from the upcoming Ptolus, built for third ed, and the first setting to really try to integrate and make sense of its DnDisms:

sorcerous blood, armor less mages, monks, and so forth all found good homes in the setting.

I thought that in that regard it was superlative.

Edit:

All right I went back and reread the original post, and I have to say that I see reall disconnect between what it asks and what the poll asks.

In that case I'd probably go with something like Blackmoor or City State of the Invincible Overlord, but honestly I think it's a pretty silly question.

The whole purpose behind my picking Scarred Lands was that I thought it was well tailored to the rules. If we're getting new rules with new data then I want a new setting.

The only advantage to Greyhawk in the first place was that it was steeped in arcane DnD lore but fairly generic, if you were to pick by that criteria then I'd just as well say you should go farther back.

Then you get a load of arcane trivia and easter eggs, but it's also far enough back that you don't step on anyone's toes as you did when you 'lightened up' Greyhawk.

Last edited:

Hmm... A few people seem to believe I was implying a brand new rules set. I didn't mean to. That's why I made a point of saying "the rules as written."

The whole thing about a "new edition" was just meant as background for why--in this hypothetical situation--WotC was looking for a new default setting in the first place.

If I was asking for people to imagine new rules, they could imagine new rules to fit any setting imaginable. The question, as I meant it, refers to the current rules set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads