WOTC D&D June Editorial Calendar is up!

Rechan

Adventurer
Fell Taints! First time I skimmed through my newly bought MM2 Fell Taints were probably the critter that gave me the unexpected WOW response. Nasty little buggers and available for low level heroic as well! Give more!
Same. :) I felt their damage was a little on the wee side, but I love the story aspect that they are beacons for much more nasty aberrations.

JoeGKushner

First Post
They've said that the preview content will not displace any of the normal content. We'll see, I suppose.

It'll just be a coincidence that Dungeon has gone two months now with two adventurers...

I like 4e as a game system but WoTC as a company continues to fail to impress.

I hope we start seeing some... I don't want to say 'real' content but where are the Dragon's Bestiary, the Bizare of the Bazar, Legends and Lore (I'd love to see a 4e Arthurian take for example, or Roland, etc...). Too many classic columns getting too little attention. Even a lot of the newer materials like Class Acts seem to be hit infrequently and that was something every player could at least look at to see if it had something of use.

M'eh.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I recall the revenant in the 1e Field Folio. Was it reproduced for 3.x in any official manner by WOTC? I can't find it in the MM, Field Folio, MM2 or MM4. (don't have my MM3 handy...)

EDIT: Revenant was a template in the Monsters of Faerun book.

The revenant actually appears in 4e too, its the Wrathborn zombie from Open Grave. My guess is that this article is more like the dhampyr one, being feat-based (like a template) instead of a playable race. A murdered person coming back from the dead to achieve vengeance is a classic archetype; they could even weave a paragon path and epic destiny into the article.

It'll just be a coincidence that Dungeon has gone two months now with two adventurers...

I like 4e as a game system but WoTC as a company continues to fail to impress.

M'eh.
"Eternal cynic" indeed. :p

The revenant actually appears in 4e too, its the Wrathborn zombie from Open Grave. My guess is that this article is more like the dhampyr one, being feat-based (like a template) instead of a playable race. A murdered person coming back from the dead to achieve vengeance is a classic archetype; they could even weave a paragon path and epic destiny into the article.
Interesting theory. Still, I'd like to see an actual undead race at some point, though I suppose the nature of undead lends itself more towards being a status applied to a creature rather than a race of its own.

Nivenus

First Post
Well looks like they're following through on their promise to release more FR content.

Playing as Revenants... that's a bit... unusual, isn't it? Not that I'm against it but do they really count as a race anymore than say... ghouls? I'm afraid I'm not particularly familiar with them other than being corpses animated by a thirst for vengeance.

Nymrohd

First Post
They are also some of the few undead that are don't start as evil. Still the major aspect of a revenant is that it is unkillable until the one who murdered it is dealt with and it gets several bonuses to deal with its killer. After it exacts its revenge it passes on.

Cadfan

First Post
I thought Revenants used to be the ones who took away your senses? I haven't messed with them since the days of the Rules Cyclopedia.

Ethalias

First Post
Definitely feels light. First time I've actually been severely underwhelmed. We definitely need more adventure material in Dungeon, perhaps a few single encounters, brief one-shots.

Also, it appears the DM-focused articles have yet to make their move to Dungeon.

Really hoping that this trend of less and less articles doesn't continue. Thus far I've not agreed with a lot of complaints about DDI but I'm starting to grow uneasy..

Remove ads