WotC, Design and MMORPGs

Beckett

Explorer
It's already been stated about the mis-reading of the knight's ability. It can call focus, but it doesn't charm the monster into only attacking the knight.

I'll just add, if I sent my players up against an even CR, 5 to 1, I wouldn't expect it making it beyond the second round, much less five. But, if he was used to dealing only with the other four, I can see how adding in the full BAB, armored, high HP knight would change things quite a lot.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Remathilis - Make a short list of what the Vrock did in those five rounds and shoot it over to WotC so they can remove the extraneous features for the redesign. ;)

Seriously, though, it sounds like the well-oiled machine gameplay of a group that just needs higher challenges tossed their way. There's really nothing wrong with a team working well together, no matter whether the terminology being used by them is akin to early versions of RPGs or in the vernacular of the video games from a decade ago or even in the jargon of current MMORPGs. Ultimately, I think, what gets used as table talk is what the group decides and those who don't like it find another group.

However, and this is a big "however" here, I think this is a very different discussion than one that champions or decries tabletop RPG design that mimics a different medium, such as MMORPGs or CRPGs, and also different than a discussion that compares or constrasts various styles of play to hold one above another or all others. This just feels like an annecdotal musing of a particular group's game and, perhaps, how it might have seemed to a fly on the wall. A giant fly. Who understood our language. And gaming foibles. And, maybe, who enjoyed a bit of cake every other Tuesday. Skip the last bit as I think I made my point a while back.

Victim

First Post
So with 6 on 1 AND rules errors that boosted the power of the knight's challenges, it STILL took 5 rounds? Plus the amazing non efficiency of Reach spell - perhaps the mystic should look into casting defensively instead of bumping spells up two level - and using ready actions to heal. And this is supposed to be overpowered? :p Oops, I forgot the awesome power of Orb of Force versus a creature with at will mirror images.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Give me that Vrock. A properly run Vrock could have made life a living hell for the party.

1. Attack the Knight using telekinesis, preferably still in the air to avoid a flank. Save spores unless others are also in range.
2. Wizard shoots a force orb. Test of Mettle ends. Rogue sits there or fires a missle weapon with no sneak attack. Knight sits there or pulls out a bow.
3. Fly out of short-range spells and cast Mirror Image.
4. After some (probably ineffectual) actions by the party, divebomb the Wizard with a powerattacked claw for x2 damage. If the party's actions were effective, buff with heroism first.

There. Vrock tactics that work. It didn't even require three of them.

JustKim

First Post
I remember when Everquest came out. Before that time, it never occurred to any of us that the best protected character should confront the monsters, the wizard should cast spells at them from safety, the cleric should heal people who needed it, or the thief should try to backstab a distracted monster.

The way we did it was to have the wizard run into a room naked and screaming to begin an encounter. The best protected character would stand outside the room and swing his sword every round in case someone went over and stood there. The cleric would heal the monsters when we felt like maybe they were letting us off too easy, and when a PC was hurt the thief would stab them.

MMORPGs really changed the way we played D&D, let me tell you.

pogre

Legend
Odhanan said:
I think you are thinking backwards, personally, Remathilis. MMORPGs didn't give the tank/nuking/healing/buffing to tabletop RPGs. That's tabletop RPGs which gave them by filiation to MMORPGs. The tanks and healers etc. exist since OD&D.

It seems overly simplified to just say "hey, that was 'videogamey' because the Knight was included". The players used the rules for maximum effect. It paid. Period. If they don't want the game to feel like a "MMORPG" to them, then they role-play their characters so that they don't always use optimal tactics in a fight.

I was with you until this last sentence. As a system D&D is more videogamey for the reasons you stated. The attraction of D&D is the wider experiences it can give (that MMORPGs cannot), but suggesting characters not use optimal tactics puts an unfair burden on the players IMO.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Perhaps the fact that you guys play MMOs has impacted the way you play D&D, not that D&D has started to mirror MMOs through some design ploy. :)

In fact, it would be silly to try to make D&D mirror MMO play, and I'm pretty sure the guys running things at WotC R&D understand that.

FireLance

Legend
d20Dwarf said:
Perhaps the fact that you guys play MMOs has impacted the way you play D&D, not that D&D has started to mirror MMOs through some design ploy. :)

In fact, it would be silly to try to make D&D mirror MMO play, and I'm pretty sure the guys running things at WotC R&D understand that.
True, but the opposite view - that any MMORPG element introduced into D&D is automatically bad - is also quite extreme.

I personally believe that there are elements of MMORPGs and other computer games that can enhance D&D if introduced into the game, for example:

1. Better tools for player interface
2. Guided character creation/decision making
3. Tutorial quests to introduce the players to their abilities and basic gameplay

Currently, a lot of the above is loaded onto the DM, which takes his time and focus away from areas where a human DM has a distinct and definite advantage over a computer server, e.g. plot, portrayal of NPCs, adapting the game to player input, etc. If many games play like MMORPGs, it could be because the DM does not put enough effort into the areas where he can perform much better than a computer.

delericho

Legend
Remathilis said:
My friend allowed a knight into his campaign. At the time, he had five players: a wizard, a rogue, a bard, and a mystic (spont casting cleric). It was a classic, 5 person balanced team.

The group went against a vrock (~ around appropriate CR) guarding a tome.

When you say appropriate CR, do you mean CR = average party level, +1, +2, or what?

Once the various expansion rules are factored in, the CRs that a party can handle need to be bumped up by 1 or 2 to maintain the same challenge. Especially if the party are skilled at retreating and resting, and so come to each encounter 'fresh'.

In any event, 5 rounds to kill a CR-appropriate creature is about right, especially since the party are evidently using many of their resources (heals, spells, etc).

Still, about the rest of your post...

Combat went something like this.

1.) Knight used Knights challenge on Vrock; fails will save. Vrock goes to attack knight.
2.) Knight soaks vrock full attack and spores, attacks vrock back with power attack and deals average damage.
3.) Rogue gets into flank; sneak attacks abound.
4.) Wizard stays a comfortable distance and zaps the thing with orbs, magic missiles, etc.
5.) The mystic hangs behind the knight, healing each round. She uses Reach Spell to keep out of vrocks AoOs.
6.) Bard hangs back, singing and casting buffs (haste).

5 rounds. 1 dead vrock. One extremely PO'ed DM.

Sounds about right. And it sounds like the party used clever tactics, which made the fight easier than it otherwise might have been. So, good on them. Honestly, I don't see much problem, from a game mechanic point of view. Incidentally, when the wizard used those Orb spells, you did include the -4 penalty on the attack roll for firing into melee, didn't you?

What's sad is with some terminology changes, I could've described ANY fantasy MMORPG. Tank, Nuker, Healer, Buffer, Second Damage. Everquest, Final Fantasy XI, D&D Online, Warcraft. Its a common tactical method; someone pulls the monster, the tank "holds" the monster, the second damage sneak/back attacks, the mages stay back healing/nuking/buffing. The monster doesn't have much of a chance but to get lucky and crit/kill the tank, but with the healer healing every round (holding her action to heal if the tank goes too low), he's got a low chance of that working. The DM was bored to tears, and next game, the knight was a fighter, reach spell was gone, and the DM is seriously considering banning the Orb of X spells (No SR, touch attack, no save).

IIRC, the Orb of X spells DO require a ranged touch attack. In any event, they are widely regarded as overpowered (and in the 'wrong' school to boot).

And, yes, the party roles in D&D are almost exactly the same as the roles in MMORPGs, for the simple reason that those MMORPGs are rooted in the history of D&D, and D&D 3e was in some regards influenced by games like Diablo. Basically, they influence one another strongly, so it's no surprise they feel similar.

There was alot of discussion afterwards about how "MMORPG" the fight felt. The DM felt he had no real chance of influencing the fight, and despised how the Knights Challenge turned a difficult fight into a five-round annoyance. He also despised how the mages just pelted it to death, the mystic could heal without hassle, and the rogue was dumping buckets of d6s per round.

Mechanically, I don't see anything much wrong with the fight. A battle against a CR = party level opponent should use up 20% of available resources. I don't know how close the party came to that, but it sounds like they did use a lot of spells and healing, so that would be fine. The problem comes if they encounter every fight 'fresh' because they get to retreat and rest each time.

Doesn't prevent the fight from being boring, though.

However, looking at what most of WotC has been designing, and you see this seems to be what WotC would like the game to go towards. Everything from the Warlock class (infinite damage spell) to Telling Blow (free sneak attack) have reduced combat not to a war-game as most think but to an MMORPG.

I agree somewhat. I have a suspicion Wizards might be thinking of trying to move to a DM-less version of the game. Which would be interesting, but not something I would want to play. The closer they can get the mechanics to being deterministic, the easier that is (no need to determine opponent actions if PC abilities can dictate them, etc).

First off; did we screw up somewhere, or is knights challenge against a single foe instant death for the foe?

No, the party did well. The Knight's Challenge can be instant death for a lone foe, or it can just fail.

Secondly; short of banning everything the DM already banned (and probably more), is there a way to avoid the scenario above from happening all the time?

Keep the challenges many and varied. Throw creatures with energy resistance, or high Will saves, or in groups, or use traps, or puzzles, or whatever. And either don't let the party rest and retreat (to come at each encounter 'fresh'), or assume they will always be 'fresh' and increase the challenge accordingly.

Lastly; are we alone in assuming the game is drifting this way, or did we have a bad experience? Anyone else have similar experiences?

Sounds like you just had a bad experience. I've encountered the same. However, if it's only one encounter out of a full campaign (as I found) it's not something to worry about. Decide what lessons need learned from it, and then forget about it.

Hussar

Legend
No, the party did well. The Knight's Challenge can be instant death for a lone foe, or it can just fail.

This is mistaken since the Knight's Challenge ends as soon as anyone else attacks the opponent. About the only thing it really does is pull the creature out of position.

I also disagree with this:

I agree somewhat. I have a suspicion Wizards might be thinking of trying to move to a DM-less version of the game. Which would be interesting, but not something I would want to play. The closer they can get the mechanics to being deterministic, the easier that is (no need to determine opponent actions if PC abilities can dictate them, etc).

My suspicion is that the game is moving away from the 4 encounters/day paradigm and into a "keep on going all day long" idea. Looking at the PHB 2 classes and Tome of Magic Classes, as well as the previews for Tome of Battle, you can see that they are trying to do away with the idea that you rest and get your spells back so often.

Not a bad idea IMHO.

Remove ads