WotC WotC doesn’t own the trademark for Mind Flayer

Vaalingrade

Legend
Even then I think wizards uses Illithids.
Which sounds like a 90's rap group.

Me an' ma homies on the spaceship

Spaceship!

On our way to suck tha brain out this bi--

This Bi--

I got three tentacles attached an' I'm goin' for four.

Inna second your thoughts gonna be no more.

You wanna say my flow is old,

But I been doin' this since I was a tadpole

Pole!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Wow. A patent on absolute horsehockey! How valuable!

I am entirely sure that this person does not have to worry about anyone infringing on their patent.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Stop trying to be evasive.

Uh huh. So to recap, you provided nothing of value to the issues raised and by introducing irrelevant information, are just “digging in” to make yourself feel better instead of providing anything helpful so that people can understand what’s going on here. This is why people get confused over basic IP concepts when you have people like you deliberately conflating marks, patents, and copyright because … reasons …. But thanks!

We’re good.

Final Fantasy has been sporadically using squid-headed "Mindflayer" monsters since the original game.

Um, actually*, they changed the name to "sorcerer" in the English releases specifically because of trademark issues. The beholder also got renamed. I think the first literal "mindflayer" didn't appear in the FF series until sometime after Y2K.

*Said with full self awareness.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
How about Illithid? Or Illithidae? Those were TSR words invented for the same beings, however, it seems 'mind flayer' alone is the claimed IP.

It's worth noting that this happens all the time.

As @Snarf Zagyg says, it's not particularly meaningful. I literally automated the letter we send out about these at the law firm I work at myself. It's not something that typically ends up in court, even.

That said, I'm unconvinced WotC makes much effort to protect mind flayer - it's used in a number of videogames as well, so I'm not surprised.

For example: Demon's Souls (including the recent remake)

Should probably mention that there is a "Mind Flayer" in the latest episode of The Mandalorian. Who wants to take on Disney?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases