WotC WotC doesn’t own the trademark for Mind Flayer

Longspeak

Adventurer
The latest episode of The Mandalorian introduced an Imperial torture device called a mind flayer. Not a creature but still …
I know this is a bit off topic and I don't want to spoil anything, but

Mandalorian didn't introduce that device or the name they use for it in the SW world. Another show laid that groundwork.

jasper shoves Paul to the front. "Quick everyone take two steps back!"
Not me. What both Disney and Hasbro (and people without expensive legal advice don't) realise is "mind flayer" on it's own is not a defensible IP. The reason being, it's like "hair drier". It's a plain English phrase describing what something does.

The irony here is that in the Kyle Brink interviews (at least the one with Three Black Halflings) there was some hint or mention that Disney could be one of the large corporate threats to D&D IP.
They certainly are. The Willow TV series shows that they have an interest in doing D&D with the numbers filed off. And for 50 years D&D has relied on intimidation to defend it's IP. And you can only intimidate little guys, not towering giants. The fact is, intellectual property law is very bad at defending game rules and content. About the only thing Hasbro can be certain of being able to successfully defend is the ampersand logo!

Remove ads