WOTC "Dungeon" CD: old dungeon generator

Cruentus

Adventurer
Hello all!

I am clearing out old CDs and (gasp! floppy disks) from the back of my closet and came across an old WOTC branded CD titled: Dungeon.

This is circa Issue 1 of Dungeon Mag, I assume, since it gives you Issue 1 on pdf on the disk. It also includes a fairly simple random dungeon generator for DnD where you can set the seed, number of rooms, percentages for secret doors, etc., and it will automatically populate the rooms with monsters, treasure, and descriptors.

I can only get it to run the dungeon generator, and I can open the pdf's on the disk, but it also includes what I assume are data/source files for things like elf names, dwarf names, gnome names, which are text files that are random first, second, and third portions that when combined make up a name. I guess those are for naming them if they appear in the dungeon generator?

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone remember owning this? Is there anything more to it?

Thanks!!

Alby87

Adventurer
I'm really interested in this... but this can not be from Dungeon #1. It was published in 1986, too early for a cdrom on a magazine. This should be post 1995 at minimum it should definitely be, it's Wotc, not TSR; and if you could run it on a modern PC, even newer (it should be a 32 bit application, for the tech savy). Really interested in knowing more about it!

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
WotC bought TSR in 1997, if it helps figuring out when this is. Monster stat blocks would be a pretty quick way of figuring out what edition you're dealing with. At least somewhere on there should be a copyright date, probably on the disc itself if it has trade dress.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Great find @Jadeite

The files on the disk have a 2000 date, and the outside of the disc says "Dungeon" and has the WOTC mark on it. +

Here is a screen shot of the generator and a map it spit out. Its a little hard to see, but the box can't be opened further, so you need to scroll down to see all the contents of the map rooms.

The disc also wouldn't launch for me, I had to open it, and specifically run the Dungeon application as Admin.

Added the disc photo.

Another edit: The descriptions are interesting. Here is what was included for Room #3:
Door (south, 3 from west): (secret) down-sliding, magic word trigger, trapped [trap: scything blade trap (CR1) (Find/Disable DC21)]
Door (north, 2 from west): wooden, strong, stuck, trapped [trap: portculis(Sic) trap (CR2) (Find/Disable DC 21)]

Kind of fun!

Attachments

• dungeon screen.jpg
    dungeon screen.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 2D99B002-2E43-4C8A-BF18-4329F9C52D3C.jpeg
    2D99B002-2E43-4C8A-BF18-4329F9C52D3C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
Pretty sure I have a copy of the same CD-ROM lying around somewhere. Don't think I ever used it, and I'm abroad so I can't check. I threw out piles and piles of old unused D&D stuff last year, so maybe it didn't survive the cull.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Great find @Jadeite

The files on the disk have a 2000 date, and the outside of the disc says "Dungeon" and has the WOTC mark on it. +

Here is a screen shot of the generator and a map it spit out. Its a little hard to see, but the box can't be opened further, so you need to scroll down to see all the contents of the map rooms.

The disc also wouldn't launch for me, I had to open it, and specifically run the Dungeon application as Admin.

Added the disc photo.

Another edit: The descriptions are interesting. Here is what was included for Room #3:
Door (south, 3 from west): (secret) down-sliding, magic word trigger, trapped [trap: scything blade trap (CR1) (Find/Disable DC21)]
Door (north, 2 from west): wooden, strong, stuck, trapped [trap: portculis(Sic) trap (CR2) (Find/Disable DC 21)]

Kind of fun!

Hmm...where is the entrance supposed to be on that randomly generated dungeon?

Remove ads