WOTC "Dungeon" CD: old dungeon generator

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Nuts. I know I used to have this (I was already subscribing to Dungeon at the time, and still have that issue), but I suspect that it's long gone now.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Hmm...where is the entrance supposed to be on that randomly generated dungeon?
Clearly its a trap door in the ceiling of room #1, cause all dungeons start at room #1, its just not marked on the map :whistle::ROFLMAO:

@Andvari I've generated a number of maps just messing around, and I haven't noticed any entrances. I also didn't look closely enough to see if any of the "outside walls" of the dungeon have a door that leads to nothing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say one would need to add their own entrances, and fiddle with things a bit. This is probably like playing with the 1e DMG and randomly generating a dungeon, though, if memory serves, that method actually described a "starting entrance" room. LoL

Alby87

Adventurer
Tried it with a virtual machine. There are a PDF of Dragon 1, two 3rd Edition adventures for level 1, the Dungeon Generator (that's a freeware thatit was available before the CD was put togheter), an article that explain how to build statblocks for 3rd (wasn't those information on the DMG?), some Star Wars maps (the Millenium Falcon, the XWing and the YWing), some video spot and promos, the Sage Advice from when they started covering 3rd edition till mid 2001, and some black and white character portatrait. The menu software is atrocius. And the Dungeon Generator pretty good, reminds me a lot of donjon. Only bad thing: you can export the text in word fortmat, but no way to export the map of the dungeon.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
Well, here's a photo of the CD with the Dungeon Issue in question. It ran fine on Wine without any issues. I used to have two copies of the CD, one from Dungeon #87 and one from Dragon #284, but I might have given one away. The menu makes me think that it was also included with Top Deck and Star Wars gamer which would explain the ship maps and the card price lists.
The modules, articles and portraits are all from previous issues of Dungeon and Dragon.

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_082642_4.jpg
    IMG_20230322_082642_4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 54

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I'm going to go out on a limb and say one would need to add their own entrances, and fiddle with things a bit. This is probably like playing with the 1e DMG and randomly generating a dungeon, though, if memory serves, that method actually described a "starting entrance" room. LoL
It had a few sample ones drawn out, actually. Gary didn't (65-69) skimp on detail.

Jasperak

Adventurer
Tried it with a virtual machine. There are a PDF of Dragon 1, two 3rd Edition adventures for level 1, the Dungeon Generator (that's a freeware thatit was available before the CD was put togheter), an article that explain how to build statblocks for 3rd (wasn't those information on the DMG?), some Star Wars maps (the Millenium Falcon, the XWing and the YWing), some video spot and promos, the Sage Advice from when they started covering 3rd edition till mid 2001, and some black and white character portatrait. The menu software is atrocius. And the Dungeon Generator pretty good, reminds me a lot of donjon. Only bad thing: you can export the text in word fortmat, but no way to export the map of the dungeon.
I was playing with the software on my Win7 laptop. Since the dungeon generator is a single exe, I just put it on the desktop and played around with it. When I went to name the export, it created both a .rtf and a .png for me.

For those in the know, this is the Jamis Buck's Dungeon Generator.

What I really want to know is what all the _NAMES files are. I don't remember a name generator from back in the day.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I think I found a web-based version of Jamis Buck's Dungeon generator, on Myth-Weavers.Com.

Here's the link:

It's pretty close to the one I remember.

Remove ads