D&D 5E WotC Dungeons & Dragons 2020 Product Survey

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Well, it probably means that IS what D&D players want. Or at least enough of them for WotC to turn a good profit on the books. Just because it's not what you want or what this forum wants doesn't mean those opinions reflect a majority of D&D players out there. I mean, that's why WotC is doing these surveys, so they can get a more accurate read on what the player base is interested in than just listening to the loudest forum denizens.

It's like voting. The fact that your candidate doesn't win in every election doesn't mean that the elections are rigged or voting is meaningless. It just means you don't get to have your way every time.

Sure. But somehow, just somehow, I feel when they list all the settings I have a hard time believing the write-in "other" setting votes outnumber a well known listed one.

But since we don't have the data we can only assume that your assertion must be true. Everything WOTC publishes must be what we want exactly, or they wouldn't publish it. Obviously.

Whistles in lack of PDF rulebooks

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Guess my point is my answer to pick 3 campaign settings you like would be a lot different then if I were asked to pick the one you would actually like to see us update to 5E, as Id imagine a lot of peoples would. But who knows Im not a statistician nor do I play one on TV.

To be honest, I would doubt that there is much sunlight between those two in practice, though I see the distinction that you are making.

They've asked the favorite Setting question fairly often, particularly as they've really been getting into Settings recently. This Survey will be interesting for them, with solid demographic factors like age, edition played, race and gender to Susan out what people different ages think. I'd be fascinated to know what younger players think about older Settings, if anything.

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
To be honest, I would doubt that there is much sunlight between those two in practice, though I see the distinction that you are making.

They've asked the favorite Setting question fairly often, particularly as they've really been getting into Settings recently. This Survey will be interesting for them, with solid demographic factors like age, edition played, race and gender to Susan out what people different ages think. I'd be fascinated to know what younger players think about older Settings, if anything.

I was really surprised they didn't have Critical Role/Wildemount/Exandria up on the setting list for younger players. Especially since it's now officially official.

R_J_K75

Legend

Id actually considered this as I was writing that post. I suppose youre probably right as at the end of the day whether you voted for one or three the one with the most votes ultimately is going to get their attention.

I answered the gender, age and race questions at the end though I considered not. They can use this information to either determine what demographic theyre lacking and disregard my answers and go after them or actually take my answers to heart. We'll see. Id be curious to see how younger people/newer players think of older settings too. Id assume most are exposed to them because they play with older gamers. I wouldnt imagine theyd get much exposure to them from watching gaming online.

R_J_K75

Legend
I was really surprised they didn't have Critical Role/Wildemount/Exandria up on the setting list for younger players. Especially since it's now officially official.

I actually hadnt noticed that. I wonder if theyre possibly looking at a one and done setting book philosophy until they address all the older settings they have intentions of updating to 5E? Do they now own the rights to that setting, I didnt think they do?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I actually hadnt noticed that. I wonder if theyre possibly looking at a one and done setting book philosophy until they address all the older settings they have intentions of updating to 5E? Do they now own the rights to that setting, I didnt think they do?

The last time they did this survey, about a year ago, they did include Ravnica and Exandria for the same question. Which was weird at the time, since Exandria was not an official Setting yet (they asked a bunch about Mercer's Blood Hunter Class, which is still weird).

I'd wager the "one and done" Evergreen hardcover per Setting is the current policy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Id actually considered this as I was writing that post. I suppose youre probably right as at the end of the day whether you voted for one or three the one with the most votes ultimately is going to get their attention.

I answered the gender, age and race questions at the end though I considered not. They can use this information to either determine what demographic theyre lacking and disregard my answers and go after them or actually take my answers to heart. We'll see. Id be curious to see how younger people/newer players think of older settings too. Id assume most are exposed to them because they play with older gamers. I wouldnt imagine theyd get much exposure to them from watching gaming online.

You might be surprised: I'm 34, and waxed eloquent (ish) in my answer about books published before I was born, thanks to the DMsGuild. And there are quite a few streaming shows that use older Settings out there. WotC is the one with the data, tho.

R_J_K75

Legend
The last time they did this survey, about a year ago, they did include Ravnica and Exandria for the same question. Which was weird at the time, since Exandria was not an official Setting yet (they asked a bunch about Mercer's Blood Hunter Class, which is still weird).

I'd wager the "one and done" Evergreen hardcover per Setting is the current policy.

Does seem weird maybe they were feeling out the audience for Wildmounte?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Well, they started writing Wildemount in 2018, about the time they started the campaign set in Wildemount. So the book was already in advanced stages of development when they did that survey.

I do partly wonder if the Blood Hunter almost made it into print: the fluff about Blood Hunters is in the book, and the page count is odd as if something was cut.

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer

It doesn't hurt to be thorough, but i think those numbers were pretty clear to see for everyone.

Well, they started writing Wildemount in 2018, about the time they started the campaign set in Wildemount. So the book was already in advanced stages of development when they did that survey.

I do partly wonder if the Blood Hunter almost made it into print: the fluff about Blood Hunters is in the book, and the page count is odd as if something was cut.

I think they're extremely conservative about adding whole new classes to 5e, even for someone like Mercer.

Remove ads