D&D 5E WotC Dungeons & Dragons 2020 Product Survey

I actually downvoted many of the older names like Gygax. I'd prefer newer ideas, more modern or innovative adventure concepts. And I'm 57yo.

For me it is not mutually exclusive. I would love to see new settings (which we have to an extent) and innovative adventures and ideas.

And I would also like to see updates to the classics, that for me is where my love of Dungeons and Dragons started.

Heck, just because something is old does not mean that they could not be innovative with how they approach new content for it.

aco175

Legend
I had 48 questions but the last few were asking age, sex, and race. Several seemed to repeat themselves like it kept asking me about digital tools and such. I get that you repeat questions to balance answers, but they appear to be pushing digital tools.

It appears that Dragon or Dungeon magazine is coming back, but only in digital. ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I had 48 questions but the last few were asking age, sex, and race. Several seemed to repeat themselves like it kept asking me about digital tools and such. I get that you repeat questions to balance answers, but they appear to be pushing digital tools.

It appears that Dragon or Dungeon magazine is coming back, but only in digital. ;)

Well, Fandom Tabletop, the providers if D&D Beyond, are publishing their own RPG games now, meaning that they are WOTC competition. I've seen people speculating that these questions parse like brainstorming for an in-house replacement for Beyond...

see

Pedantic Grognard
I rated their names as neutral, but given Arneson and Gygax are dead, actually, I should have said minus. New products with either or both of their names on it are inherently going to be actually written by someone else.

I'm now stuck shuddering at a "Gary Gygax's Greyhawk" that's as entirely true to the original material as, say, "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan".

Zabalorf

Villager
Just replied to the survey.

I got a total of 44 questions, including the demographic survey at the end. I know in previous surveys people have reported the number of questions you end up answering varies depending on your answers to some of the earlier questions (how often you are playing, etc.).

So, for comparison, how many questions did others have to answer when they went through the process?

Cheers :)

I had chosen Homebrew, Dragon Lance and and Greyhawk as my top 3. It asked me a lot of questions about Homebrew and DMing. I think I answered about 60-70.
Lots of cool questions about DM tools and playing styles, I liked it.

I wonder if listing Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson on the designer list means there's a possibility of crediting them with creating the game on the cover of new D&D books?
I'd hope it would be more of a test to see if dungeon/module/adventure design in their style are relevant.

I chose indifferent to every designer on that list except for Arneson and Gygax. The only great modules/adventures now are coming from the OSR. I'd like to see WoTC official adventures follow the OSR's lead in creating quality adventures.

I actually downvoted many of the older names like Gygax. I'd prefer newer ideas, more modern or innovative adventure concepts. And I'm 57yo.
Agree about wanting more modern and innovative adventure concepts. The problem is that very few of the other designers on that list actually contribute such. I think only Monte Cook can be considered innovative in that list.

All the innovation in adventure design is coming from the OSR. Hot Springs Island, Ultraviolet Grasslands, ASE, Castle Xyntillan, Operation Unfathomable, Gardens of Ynn... and so on.

I'd love to see WoTC look in this direction instead of their 'railroaded plot-based story of the week' approach to adventures.

I had chosen Homebrew, Dragon Lance and and Greyhawk as my top 3. It asked me a lot of questions about Homebrew and DMing. I think I answered about 60-70.
Lots of cool questions about DM tools and playing styles, I liked it.

Hmm. That means I'll have to decide when I'm answering whether to include homebrew so I can provide more feedback on that or not. I do have my own world(s) that I work with, but I also play with the published settings and by default I would probably select from them on a survey (depending on what the actual question is).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases