D&D 5E WotC Dungeons & Dragons 2020 Product Survey

R_J_K75

Legend
Gives me hope that it’s at least being contemplated!

I was thinking the same thing about an hour ago. I know what people are going to say about my next statement regarding how they did this and people jumped all over them when the product(s) didnt materialize, but I wish in these surveys theyd just come out and say we're thinking of releasing a campaign setting, DMs supplement, etc, what would you prefer? This way I can answer the questions more objectively.

I think the digital tools questions were really to get a feel for how many people switched over due to quarantine, which gives them an idea for how much they should invest in that area going forward.

But I don't remember any questions about whether I'll keep using digital tools once I start playing in-person games again. (I, for one, will not. I like my ttrpgs analog where possible.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I get that you repeat questions to balance answers

It isn't to "balance" answers - insofar as "balance" is not well-defined in this context.

There are several statistics reasons to ask basically the same question, multiple times. It helps eliminate error and increase understanding of the answers.

but they appear to be pushing digital tools.

Well, you heard about this on an internet message board, or through some other internet-based channel (twitter or e-ail or something) and went online to answer a survey. Digital tools already seem pretty relevant, no?

aco175

Legend
Well, you heard about this on an internet message board, or through some other internet-based channel (twitter or e-ail or something) and went online to answer a survey. Digital tools already seem pretty relevant, no?
Doesn't mean I want to start bringing my laptop to the game table or my cell phone. I know some people like it as a tool or can only play that way, but it is not my group- at least for now.

We are in the age of internet. Today children are watching cartoons with the tabletop or the mobile (but a too small screen can't be good of the eyes). An app with a kid-friendly look and easy rules to be learnt could be the hook for lots of new potential players. The preteen wouldn't buy the books, but the comics or the toys. The app would be like an AI acting as a Dungeon Master, showing stats, when a trap is activated, a threasure is found or there is a secret ambush by stalker enemies, but the player would have total control of the stats files, allowing all their own house rules. A canon kid-friendly setting in D&D? Yes, it is possible, something like the anti-Ravenloft, a demiplane created by the dreams of the sentient beings, a oneiric matrix explored by the dreamer children, and nobody can be hurt but only awake by a nightmare. This dreamland could show pieces of worlds with high-tech but the ray guns wouldn't be more powerful than the arrows or other arcaic weapons, because it's the realm of the dreams. A virtual tabletop for children.

R_J_K75

Legend
Doesn't mean I want to start bringing my laptop to the game table or my cell phone. I know some people like it as a tool or can only play that way, but it is not my group- at least for now.

I personally don't like cell phones, tablets, or laptops at my table when I DM. Sometime I will use my laptop but that because I'm the DM and I'm allowed just because I said so. But nothing aggravates me more when I'm in the middle of an encounter and look over and see someone on their cell phone. It's rude and I hate having to repeat myself because someone's distracted by something other than the game. If it wasn't for the fact that some people have on occasion got an urgent phone call or they are on call for work, I'd ban them from the table completely.

R_J_K75

Legend
We are in the age of internet.

True, but more and more this has become an age of instant information and instant gratification that has made the world a worse place in some aspects. It pretty obvious that people are becoming more and more reliant on it. Just my opinion.

Remove ads