WotC forums broken?

Shemeska

Adventurer
So are they working for anyone right now? I'm just getting a massive amount of what looks like badly broken code popping up whenever I try to connect to a number of the WotC forum subforums. It has been that way for around 12 hours now.

Error copied below the spoiler block.

[sblock]Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

[/sblock]

shadzar

Banned
Banned
I only see a WHOOPS! page for the past few years when trying to view the new forums so couldn't tell you myself, but looks like something internally is not set properly on their servers.

Aexalon

Explorer
So are they working for anyone right now? I'm just getting a massive amount of what looks like badly broken code popping up whenever I try to connect to a number of the WotC forum subforums. It has been that way for around 12 hours now.

I seem to have the same problem when connecting directly to their forums (firefox 3.6.13). It seems there is a connection or redirect problem between the actual forum server, and the account server.

A work-around that works for me is going to http://www.wizards.com/dnd/ first, and then navigating to the forums using the links there. Apparently, going via the main site gets one's credentials sorted in a different way that does work.

hvg3akaek

First Post
Yeah, been getting the same issues all weekend. Trying to follow shortcuts to bookmarked threads, links in the WotC emails I have received, or even directly from their front pages, all give me the same error.

samursus

Explorer
I have had the same problems on and off for the last week or so. One of things that seems to work for me is signing in on the D&D main page first. (My belief is that it is an Account wall thing-- saw the word "Shield" in the error message)

Also, do you login into WOTC from 2 or more different computers? I do, and that may be why.

VictorC

Explorer
Well this clearly means d&d isn't selling well at all and that WotC is getting it's ass handed to it by every other company out there today.

Well, it makes as much sense as all of the other threads going on right now.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Update: I can get in, I just can't use any bookmarks and I have to start at the absolute lowest level and sign in from there. There's a thread on their forums apparently about the issue, so a number of folks have had it and been reporting it for a week or more.

Dunno how long it'll take to get fixed. I'm not sure who is responsible for the forum upkeep now, if it's internal like it was a long while back when I knew folks doing it or external, since the forum software post Gleemax was purchased from an outside company a few years ago. One of the long-term WizOs/ORCs 'dox has passed it up the chain though, so maybe there will be some movement on it (though given that it's been like two years and the forums are still in Beta, I dunno).

At least they're aware of it now.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I used to go to WotC but since about 2003 each of thier retoolings has gotten less appealing or user friendly. That's just IME though. Now I just come here. En World has actually made improvements with each update.

Remove ads