WotC Forums Migration Tool

You most probably know by now that WotC is closing its D&D, M:tG and other community forums on October 29th. Already, hundreds of WotC forum members have begun migrating over here to EN World, and as part of that process they are transferring content that would otherwise be lost. The content is being placed in the Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat forum, the Character Builds & Optimizations forum, and the D&D Adventurer's League forum. The Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat Forum is a general storage area for any and all transferred content, regardless of its nature, until we get chance to sort through and move it all to where it needs to be. EN World and WotC member MerricB has spent over 12 hours coding a tool which makes it incredibly easy and quick to transfer your content from WotC's forums to here. It preserves formatting, and copies entire threads, making transferring your content take a matter of seconds rather than hours.

You most probably know by now that WotC is closing its D&D, M:tG and other community forums on October 29th. Already, hundreds of WotC forum members have begun migrating over here to EN World, and as part of that process they are transferring content that would otherwise be lost. The content is being placed in the Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat forum, the Character Builds & Optimizations forum, and the D&D Adventurer's League forum. The Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat Forum is a general storage area for any and all transferred content, regardless of its nature, until we get chance to sort through and move it all to where it needs to be. EN World and WotC member MerricB has spent over 12 hours coding a tool which makes it incredibly easy and quick to transfer your content from WotC's forums to here. It preserves formatting, and copies entire threads, making transferring your content take a matter of seconds rather than hours.

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
This tool isn't complete yet, but it should get most of the formatting from a series of posts on a page on the Wizards forums, convert it to BB Code, which you can copy and post on EN World.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...00&authkey=!ABKffCWJONMiKjI&ithint=folder,zip

It's a Windows program, written in C# on my Windows 10 machine - I have no idea if it'll work on previous versions of Windows. I know it won't work on Macs. Let me know if it works for you.

The program is pretty simple:
* put the URL of the page you wish to convert in the text box at the top of the page.
* press "Convert"
* Wait patiently for the page to load on the left-hand pane, and then for the BBCode to appear in the right-hand pane.
* Press "Copy" to copy the text to your clipboard.

At that point, you can do anything you like with it.

The left-hand pane is a simple browser, so you could navigate using that; it'll convert a Wizards forum page automatically when you get to the next. If you spot any types of formatting it is not bringing over, let me know. (It removes any orders to turn the text white or black, and it doesn't understand certain types of colour codes at the moment.)

The browser doesn't quite understand the Wizards log-in system on my computer. It might on yours.

A row of post numbers will appear down the bottom of the page as well.
* Press on a number to just cause that post to appear on the right-hand side; it also copies itself to your clipboard, ready for re-posting.

Cheers!

MonkLover

First Post
Thank you for this, I have now saved a few of my posted builds, and I am now going through the list of materials to see what has not been transferred over, and will do what I can to save the invaluable info that was in those forums.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Time is about up. Just to be clear, unless I'm missing something with the tool there is no way to grab a whole thread all at once? If I input a thread URL, I need to click on each of the 40 boxes (ie, per post) copy/paste them individually into a new file and repeat that for each page of the thread?

I'm looking at the "Problems with Lost Mine of Phandelver" thread which is 5 pages long. I can't find it here, so I don't think it's been copied over yet.

Ricochet

Explorer
Put the link in the program. Then it should copy everything from the thread, though be mindful that it only copies one PAGE of a thread at a time. So in the thread you mention, you'd have to do the URL thing 5 times - once for each page on WotC's forum.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Put the link in the program. Then it should copy everything from the thread, though be mindful that it only copies one PAGE of a thread at a time. So in the thread you mention, you'd have to do the URL thing 5 times - once for each page on WotC's forum.
I do see that, yes. But my issue is that it looks like I then need to individually copy the BBcode for each post from the page. I'll look again - maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

EDIT: And you are correct. The initial response is the full page of posts, but once you click on a post number, you lose that and just get individual posts. My mistake - thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Note that if you click on the next page link within the view of the page on the left-side panel, it'll travel to the next page and tease out the posts - you don't have to enter the URL each time.

pupoochi

First Post
Oath of the Arcane, new pally oath

he Oath of the Arcane is a difficult journey, having to master both the sword and the mind. More than mere warrior, these paladins share a connection to the Weave few can match. They pray to Gods of magic, not combat; they see the Weave as holy, something to be praise upon; even the chaotic force of the elements are a thing to be worship to them. Whenever evil spellcasters arise to wreak havoc, or a powerful artifact need to be retrieve, or destro; or simply when muscle is not all that is needed, the people can count on them. They are called mageblade, arcane champion and even elemental warrior.

Tenets of the Arcane

Whatever people call them, they practically follows the same generic principles:

Confront the wicked: magic is a tool but it must be use wisely, and with moderation. Fight those who use it to conquer, defile, or to cheat death itself.
Learn all you can: knowledge is power, to be able to fight your ennemies you must understand them. fighting skills are good, but mastery of other skills is also precious.
Shelter the Weave: oppose all organisations, or individuals who wishes to interfere, control, or destroy the very fabric of Magic.
Broaden your horison: do not fear the others sources of Magic; like the raw powers of the elements, of the supernatural world, or the mysterious wonders or the Mind, cause the Weave connect them all.

Oath of the Arcane

Oath Spells

lvl 1: Magic Missile, Shield
lvl 2: Misty Steps, Scorching Ray
lvl 3: Counterspell, Protection from Energy
lvl 4: Dimension Door, Fire Shield
lvl 5: Destructive Wave, Wall of Force

Level 3:
Elemental Smite: when you use Divine Smite, or Improved Divine Smite, you choose to deal any energy types of damage (acid, cold, fire, lightning or thunder) instead of radiant damage. Undead and fiends take no extra damage for elemental smites as they do for radiant divine smites.

Channel Divinty:
Infuse Weapon: as an action, you can imbue one weapon that you are holding with magic energy, using your channel divinity. For 1 minute, your weapon effectively gain a "+1" magic bonus. If the weapon is not already magical, it's become magical for the duration. If the weapon is already magical, you add "+1" to the weapon, to a maximum of "+3". Finely, the weapon emit lights as a torch.

Eldritch Ward: as a reaction, when you are hit by an energy (acid, cold, fire, lightning or thunder) attack or spell damage, you can use your channel divinity to grant you resistance against the damage.

Sense Magic: when you use your Divine Sense, you may feel the presence of magic in the air. This feature works as if you cast a detect magic spell using your Divine Sense uses.

Level 7:
Aura of Power: you and friendly creatures within 10 feet gain a +1 bonus on their spell's DC, and add your proficiency bonus on the CONSTITUTION saving throw to maintain concentration when taking damage. At level 18 the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Level 15:
Arcane Recovery: you have learned to regain some of your magical energy by meditating on the Weave. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than a quarter of your paladin level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be of 5th level.

Level 20:
Magic Incarnate: you have reach the pinacle of your art, a true exemple of might and magic. As an action, you can emanate an aura of pure magic. For 1 minute, crackling magical energy forms a shimmering barrier around you and remains for the duration, moving with you. The barrier act as aGlobe of Invulnerability spell with the exceptions note above. The aura sheds bright light in a 25 feet radius and dim light for another 25 feet beyong that. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Remove ads

Remove ads