WotC hiring software developer

Dausuul

Legend
That is a... peculiar job listing. Experience in front-end web development or infrastructure or distributed systems? Architectural design and production support? Develop services and web apps and SDKs and also support SDKs for Unity3D game developers? It seems like they're looking for one person to be an entire IT shop (on one person's salary, of course). Or else they just have no clue what they want. Considering WotC's abysmal history with electronic offerings, I suppose that's not surprising, though.

I admit that I am tempted to apply just because it's WotC... but if I pretend it's not WotC, about fifteen red flags pop up and sirens start wailing in my head. From any other company, I would look at that listing, laugh scornfully, spare a moment of pity for the fool who takes the job, and move on.

Now, if Curse was hiring for devs to work on D&D Beyond, that'd be another matter. I have been very impressed with Curse.

G

Guest 6801328

Now, if the posting listed experience with genetic algorithms, electromagnetic railguns, and DNA synthesis it would be really intriguing.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
funny-software-developer-hourly-rate-gift-t-shirt-orange-pieces.jpg

Harzel

Adventurer
That is a... peculiar job listing. Experience in front-end web development or infrastructure or distributed systems? Architectural design and production support? Develop services and web apps and SDKs and also support SDKs for Unity3D game developers? It seems like they're looking for one person to be an entire IT shop (on one person's salary, of course). Or else they just have no clue what they want. Considering WotC's abysmal history with electronic offerings, I suppose that's not surprising, though.

I admit that I am tempted to apply just because it's WotC... but if I pretend it's not WotC, about fifteen red flags pop up and sirens start wailing in my head. From any other company, I would look at that listing, laugh scornfully, spare a moment of pity for the fool who takes the job, and move on.

Now, if Curse was hiring for devs to work on D&D Beyond, that'd be another matter. I have been very impressed with Curse.

Well, don't forget the part where you are going to "Come join us and help redefine technology and software engineering at Wizards of the Coast!"

So in addition to doing all phases and types of development work, you will get to design their development methodology, and then select, bring up, and administer a suite of tools for them. I guess there is the advantage, though, that you don't have to argue with anyone about which source control or bug tracker to use. That's always so contentious. :p

EDIT: It's very odd. I looked at their other SW job descriptions and they all seem pretty normal. This one is just wacky.

Last edited:

Mobiles and MP3 changed music industry, and internet and tablets will change RPG industry. Paper will be like collector edition videogames, and most of sold titles will be downloaded PDFs. I guess WotC's plan will be something like the open licence but in version videogame software, when the third party publishers would be like selling videogame mods.

Nagol

Unimportant
Well, don't forget the part where you are going to "Come join us and help redefine technology and software engineering at Wizards of the Coast!"

So in addition to doing all phases and types of development work, you will get to design their development methodology, and then select, bring up, and administer a suite of tools for them. I guess there is the advantage, though, that you don't have to argue with anyone about which source control or bug tracker to use. That's always so contentious. :p

EDIT: It's very odd. I looked at their other SW job descriptions and they all seem pretty normal. This one is just wacky.

They used to have a cadre of enterprise architects so all the definitional work should be done. I guess they're gone?

Zardnaar

Legend
I treat software engineering like construction.

Step 1. Work out how many people you need.
Step2. Work out how much it should cost.
Step 3. Double step 1&2.

Alot of people skip step 3. $300 job turns into $1000+ due to scaffolding.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases