D&D 5E WotC Is Designing Adventures With Shorter Content Chunks

In a recent interview, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford talked about how WotC’s D&D design accommodates streaming and busier adult gamers by dividing adventures into shorter, bite-sized content. https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/07/dds-lead-rule-designer-explains-why-actual-play-has-influenced-the-game “So you’ll notice that around the time we came out with the Essentials Kit and then continued on...

In a recent interview, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford talked about how WotC’s D&D design accommodates streaming and busier adult gamers by dividing adventures into shorter, bite-sized content.

185E1C6B-ABE7-48AE-A0A7-F687103E7B31.jpeg

“So you’ll notice that around the time we came out with the Essentials Kit and then continued on with a lot of our adventure content — even when it’s a large, epic campaign, like last year’s Rime of the Frostmaiden —they’re much easier to divide up into digestible segments that where … if the DM wants to just read a part of this big book, or just run one of these little quests, we’re making that easier to do. Not only to make things less arduous for a brand new Dungeon Master, and with new groups of players coming to D&D for the first time, but also because of that format of play, also suits streamed games better.

“We know streamed games, with the exception of maybe Critical Role, tend to be shorter than a lot of [traditional] tabletop games. You know, in the old days and even today, a lot of people’s tabletop games [sessions] might range between three and four hours, although we’re seeing the average length go down — most streamed games are often sometimes as short as two hours, or even 90 minutes.”

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
This evolution suits me fine. Sometimes, I'm in a bit of a rush to prep a game. Other times, when I do plan in advance, I like to insert my own things and the smaller chunks tend to be better for this.

The game I play in just dropped from 3.5 hours to 2 hours a week. Smaller content chunks are appreciated!
I do very much miss the old days of my teens and early 20s of us getting together around noon and playing till like 6-8 PM every Saturday with a break for dinner in there but sometimes it’s hard to carve out even 2-3 hrs these days and that stinks. Still, some is definitely better than nothing at all.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I do very much miss the old days of my teens and early 20s of us getting together around noon and playing till like 6-8 PM every Saturday with a break for dinner in there but sometimes it’s hard to carve out even 2-3 hrs these days and that stinks. Still, some is definitely better than nothing at all.
Man, back in high school we used to play for four hours, go swimming, play more, eat dinner, and play more.

Oh those halcyon days!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This works for me. My sessions rarely last more than 2.5 hours anyway, and pulling bit out for my own homebrew is basically what I buy the adventures for.

Remove ads

Remove ads