WotC Monster Art Contest Winner Announced

WotC held a contest back in October to create art of a new monster, the prize being $5000, a visit to WotC, and their monster becoming a miniature. The winner has just been announced as Will Kalkanis, who created the monster below.

will_kalkanis_grand_prize_winner.jpg

There were also ten runners up which you can see in a slideshow over on SyFy.com. Thanks to Oryzarius for the scoop!

[video=youtube;jdFdOtUuW2Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdFdOtUuW2Q[/video]​

Sadras

Legend
Amazing work by all. Really appreciative they provided the artwork of the other finalists, it allows the tinkerers amongst us to create some new monsters.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Looking through the runner-ups it's obvious why this one was chosen, it has the 5th ed house style feel with the slight brushstroke quality.

Yeah this looks like 5e art.

I'm disappointed there are no silly monsters in the runners up.

Everything is grim dark. I like Lovecraftian horrors but there were a lot of them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wow. The slideshow makes me think that WotC should pull from fandom more often. My favorite is also the Sweet Daughter...so creepy.

Yeah - All of them are pretty cool, but some of them look like they belong more in a dreamscape than in a dungeon - too "busy" with extra tentacles, hands, etc. Even though it's D&D, nature does tend to stick with four appendages among vertebrates. I think that's what throws me off about some of them. I'd place any of 'em in Lovecraft's Dreamlands in a heartbeat, though.

Some real Tome of Beasts level creepiness in these! My eye is seeing some of these monsters as distant cousins of the Astral Dreadnaught and, in one or two cases, thralls of of Zuggtmoy from MToF.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases