WotC Names 10 "Adepts" On Their DMs Guild Store

WotC's Dungeon Masters Guild store launched 18-months ago, and was a vehicle for D&D fans to produce material and sell it to other fans in one convenient online mega-store; WotC's version of the App Store, essentially. WotC's Chris Lindsay comments that the store now has thousands of new publishers on the store - something which is both bug and feature. One of the problems with such a large body of content is that it can be tough to find the really good stuff, and WotC has tried to address this is in past with columns highlighting certain products (and, indeed, there are websites which do that very well too, including the ENnie-nominated Loot the Room which posts a monthly Best of the DM's Guild column).

guild_adept.png

WotC has just launched a new initiative. They have picked ten DMs Guild creators, who they are calling "Adepts", and will be highlighting them in their podcasts and other media going forward, as well as giving them early copies of adventures like the upcoming Tomb of Annihilation so that they can produce content to go with that product on launch day. They even get a special gold badge so you can spot them on the store!

So who are WotC's first Adepts? They are:

I did a quick search at DMs Guild and linked to those authors I could find, though I failed my search-fu on three of them. But you can check out the ones which did work.

From what WotC is saying, it looks like this group will change periodically -- "It won’t always be the same group, and the group won’t always be the same number of folks, but it will be fun and exciting to see what wonders they create." There's more information in WotC's announcement.

One of the important take-aways for most is that there will be third-party content for new adventures on launch day.
SaveSave

dave2008

Legend
She did. Seen the interview?
I have not seen the video, so my comment may be off based. However, based on your observation I wonder if she was taking the "This Old House" approach.

If you are familiar with the show, the host asks the contractor's, trades people, etc. a series of simple questions. The host knows these answers, but they come across as having much less knowledge for the benefit of getting an explanation from the "master" craftsman for the audience. The original host, Bob Villa, was often mocked by experienced viewers for his bumbling and "stupid" questions. However, he was asking the questions for the benefit of the inexperienced viewer, not the experienced one. I would bet that is what you were seeing as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffB

Legend
So, out of curiosity, what is the standard of stage presence that you require from all D&D creators you buy from? I assume your collection is very small. This comment came across really poorly. I can't imagine anybody saying the same thing about a male D&D creator.

You are accusing me of sexism? Serious?

I am saying she came off as someone who doesn't play D&D very much based on how she interviewed Colville.

I play D&D with my little girl, Russ. Don't go there.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You are accusing me of sexism? Serious?

I am saying she came off as someone who doesn't play D&D very much based on how she interviewed Colville.

I play D&D with my little girl, Russ. Don't go there.

You literally said, upthread, that a particular woman should stick to stripping rather than writing fan materials for DMs Guild. Yeah, Jeff. I'm saying that's a misogynistic comment which should not have been made, here or anywhere else. I think you should take it back.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Now this makes sense. Maybe she should stick to that instead of the DMs Guild.

Her former profession has nothing to do with her contributions to DnD and the fact you used it as an insult is one of the grossest things I've seen on this forum.

If you're going to criticize her work, fine, that's your call as long as you can justify it. But that quote is crossing the line into personal attacks and has no place in discussion.

JeffB

Legend
I have not seen the video, so my comment may be off based. However, based on your observation I wonder if she was taking the "This Old House" approach. If you are familiar with the show, the host asks the contractor's, trades people, etc. a series of simple questions. The host knows these answers, but they come across as having much less knowledge for the benefit of getting an explanation from the "master" craftsman for the audience. The original host, Bob Villa, was often mocked by experience viewers for his bubbling and "stupid" questions. However, he was asking the questions for the benefit of the inexperienced viewer, not the experienced one. I would bet that is what you were seeing as well.

That may be the case. If I did not know Bob Villa, and saw that, I wouldn't want him to fix my roof.

JeffB

Legend
Her former profession has nothing to do with her contributions to DnD and the fact you used it as an insult is one of the grossest things I've seen on this forum.

If you're going to criticize her work, fine, that's your call as long as you can justify it. But that quote is crossing the line into personal attacks and has no place in discussion.

did not even know it was her profession until it was mentioned (the makes sense part was I . Reference to her appearance and comparison to a "booth girl"). The implication was "she has a profession" , she should stick with it because her D&D knowledge seems very limited. Just like I"m better off in Health Care than running marathons in my spare time.

JeffB

Legend
You literally said, upthread, that a particular woman should stick to stripping rather than writing fan materials for DMs Guild. Yeah, Jeff. I'm saying that's a misogynistic comment which should not have been made, here or anywhere else. I think you should take it back.

You can see my explanation above

cmad1977

Hero
Dude can't even admit he said something royally dickish about someone with legit accomplishments in our hobby.
So embarrassingly typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases