WotC officials: we want MINIS for the modules!

skipdog172

First Post
keterys said:
Honestly, for those who are morally opposed to random minis - check ebay. There are fantastic deals for some DDM minis. You can probably get 100 commons for $25. Uncommons aren't too bad. Want every last mini in a DDM set, with 2 of each uncommon, 4 of each common? There are people who do that. Rares on their own, though, are a little rude.

It's not hard to adventure design around needing them, though.

I've tried looking on ebay, and the fact is, I don't want every last DDM mini in a set and I haven't seen any specialized "theme" sales. I bought a box of 100 commons for around $50 and was a bit underwhelmed. It really did not add as many usable minis as I would have liked. I guess it is fine to proxy monsters in, but I could have just used my warhammer40k figures for that. It would be great if it would be possible to purchase an "undead" set or a "goblin" set or an "orc" set or an "adventurers" set. I just hate buyin all of these excess minis that I won't use just to hopefully get the ones that I will use. If I could purchase one giant set, that had some variety of undead, orcs, kobolds, really at least SOME of each major race, just a good variety that would cover most of the basic needs, I would definitely purchase it. The problem is they are spread out over all these DDM sets and to expect us to drop so much money on ALL of these sets, simply HOPING to get the models we will use, seems unreasonable.

Heck, I would be willing to buy single unpainted models at Warhammer prices. I just want to be able to get the monsters I need to play, without buying tons and tons of extras.

Are there any other brands of models that work quite well for D&D without having to buy huge sets of guys where I won't even use the majority of them?

So yeah, I would support them releasing models to go with modules/MM. I doubt that would ever happen though. One can hope...

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Nightchilde-2 said:
What I want out of minis....just throwin' in my 2cp....All of the monsters from the MMI in a set.
Some time back, I did some calculations for a complete set of creatures from the 3.5 Monster Manual...

The Colossal Red Dragon comes in a box approximately 41cm x 39cm x 25cm in size (please excuse my use of metric for the moment). The box for the Gargantuan Black Dragon is about 27cm x 24cm x 17cm.

The Monster Manual includes eight Colossal creatures and thirty-seven Gargantuan creatures, which works out to about 0.73 cubic meters of space, assuming that the 102 Huge, 179 Large, 184 Medium, 58 Small, 24 Tiny and 7 Diminutive creatures can be packed into the empty spaces left by Colossal and Gargantuan figures not completely filling the volume of a box.

And since D&D uses good old imperial-measurement, 0.73 cubic meters is 25.8 cubic feet, or roughly a 3' x 3' x 3' box. The box would also weigh at least 35kg, or 77lb. If you have a Strength of less than 17, that'll be at least a medium load to lug home from your FLGS!

So, yes, I agree that a complete set of Monster Manual minis would be a great idea. But it also isn't very practical!

Remove ads