WotC officials: we want MINIS for the modules!

phil500

First Post
MerricB said:
The prepainted non-random market is *tough*. Consider that Reaper's "Legendary Encounter"

yeah, but they arent WOTC and dont have a major module tied to it.

Someone mentioned earlier wizards seems dedicated to putting out quality modules this time around. with their market power, existing DDM capabilities I cant see it being that hard to mass produce a set of minis.

Like you said, you already have enough from playing DDM. those of us not interested in DDM are in an awkward position.

Ginnel

Explorer
Ok how about this for an interesting concept each module comes with 2/3 minis for the unique characters involved, maybe a couple of player characters and an evil bad guy or any combination of, the catch is they also come with stat cards, so if a mini's only player wants that guy he's gonna have to buy the module, complete with maps though ;)

this will allow D&D players to get those hard to attain models while still making the DDM people pay quite a lot of money for a rare :) genius and still making it marketable to all.

Mirtek

Hero
Kzach said:
It's a shame that no-one listens because obviously there is a market for it.

As for the collectibility factor, well, they could easily pump a premium on such sets and people would still buy them. I really don't think it's a losing situation for them.
However they seem to think that it would be a losing situation for them.

There's no doubt that there is a market for this, however they obviously don't think it's big enough or that it may be big enough but would cut too deeply into the random mini sales to be worthwhile.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
MerricB said:
The prepainted non-random market is *tough*. Consider that Reaper's "Legendary Encounter" line is only just going to release it's second wave of minis - Elf Archer, Ghost, Great Worm, Zombie, Bathalian (Mind Flayer), Evil Human Warrior, Good Human Warrior, Human Female Ranger. Since the initial release in August 2007, it's taken nine months to get a mere 8 more minis onto the market, for a grand total of 17 in the line.
They're two entirely different markets.

On the one hand you're talking about non-random sets of minis that have very little appeal. I mean, the sets aren't even themed. Who in their right mind would want them?

On the other hand, you have a popular module that you'd be releasing specific figures specifically to cater to.

The two just aren't even remotely related.

Cirex

First Post
I got my first minis last week (Dungeons of Dread initial set + 1 booster pack) and I'm happy with them...but unless I buy many booster packs, I will have to use Warhammer minis to compliment the other ones.

I was checking ebay for single ones, so my players got a "personalized" miniature for their class or at least race, but the shipping prices are too high for what I want (a few minis from there and there).

A box only of orcs (or goblins or demons or whatever) would be very interesting in my opinion, but if they are not good for marketing...well, bad luck.

EDIT : I will use this thread to ask. I really like the Shadowfell battlemaps, and I read that they are reprints of old ones...where can I find them? I have checked amazon, paizo, googled, but can't find anything. I'm really interested on those battlemaps, since right now I just got the default one and the ones from the Dungeons of Dread initial set (which are very nice too).

Riley

Legend
Supporter
WotC_Logan said:
It's more practical to put monsters we already have miniatures of (or that we know are coming out near the release date of the adventure) into the adventure. That isn't a perfect solution either, but is more practical.

The danger of this approach is that the insertion of the monster can feel forced. I remember this feeling several times when reading the otherwise-quite-good Forgotten Realms HC adventure trilogy.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Cirex said:
EDIT : I will use this thread to ask. I really like the Shadowfell battlemaps, and I read that they are reprints of old ones...where can I find them?

There are two large maps in each of the following WotC releases:
  • Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow
  • Fantastic Locations: Hellspike Prison
  • Fantastic Locations: Fields of Ruin
  • Fantastic Locations: Dragonsdown Grotto
  • Fantastic Locations: The Frostfell Rift
  • City of Peril

Cirex

First Post
Echohawk said:
There are two large maps in each of the following WotC releases:
  • Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow
  • Fantastic Locations: Hellspike Prison
  • Fantastic Locations: Fields of Ruin
  • Fantastic Locations: Dragonsdown Grotto
  • Fantastic Locations: The Frostfell Rift
  • City of Peril

Thanks a lot! I will take a look now.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
What I want out of minis....just throwin' in my 2cp....

All of the monsters from the MMI in a set. They can keep the randomness factor as far as I'm concerned, but I'd like to have all the monsters from the MM. I know, I know, a lot of monsters, but....

Then, the next set? All the monsters from the MMII. And so on....

I'll never get that, but that's what I want.

keterys

First Post
Kzach said:
It's a shame that no-one listens because obviously there is a market for it.

There's a big difference between there being a market at all, and there being a profitable market.

1) Many people don't buy modules
2) Many people who buy modules wouldn't want to buy the minis
3) The random/collectible minis will wander off the shelves while people specifically choose to pass up non-random minis that might collect dust

Honestly, for those who are morally opposed to random minis - check ebay. There are fantastic deals for some DDM minis. You can probably get 100 commons for $25. Uncommons aren't too bad. Want every last mini in a DDM set, with 2 of each uncommon, 4 of each common? There are people who do that. Rares on their own, though, are a little rude.

It's not hard to adventure design around needing them, though.

Remove ads