WotC officials: we want MINIS for the modules!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Put me down as in favor, as a DM, as a retailer, and as a DDM collector.
It could even be done is several packages. A pack of more generic mob figures not tied to a particular module (a bunch of orcs or skeletons or ...); and a pack of less common figs tied to a particular module. The Module could then say you would need a Kobold Pack, a Skeleton Pack and a KotS pack. That would keep the costs down on the figure packs.

frankthedm

First Post
thalmin said:
Put me down as in favor, as a DM, as a retailer, and as a DDM collector.
It could even be done is several packages. A pack of more generic mob figures not tied to a particular module (a bunch of orcs or skeletons or ...); and a pack of less common figs tied to a particular module. The Module could then say you would need a Kobold Pack, a Skeleton Pack and a KotS pack. That would keep the costs down on the figure packs.
WOtc had planned those packs years ago. Two made it into thier upcoming product lists. They were then canceled.

Gort

Explorer
These days I've swapped to scanning pictures from the Monster Manuals, printing them on card, and using card-stand-up bases. At least that way I'm guaranteed to get the monster I'm actually fielding that adventure.

I think my biggest problem with buying miniatures for D&D is that there are such a variety, and re-using a monster is so rare, that the return on investment simply isn't worth it. It's not like I can use that "half-mindflayer lizardfolk cultist" model for much else. And making it a random booster pack is just a kick in the nuts, to be frank.

StickPerson

First Post
I’m going to de-lurk myself to pipe in and say I’d easily spend $30-$40 for a nice set of non-random mini’s to go with a good solid adventure like KotS. I DM a regular campaign and acquire what cheap ($0.39 to $2.00) mini’s I can from secondary markets, and manage to cover about 70% of my needs, but it takes time to find out what’s available and then get in several orders and still not cover all I want.

I also play magic and have no qualms about buying random boosters of cards, but that same does not hold true at all for minis. I’ve never bought a random DDM booster and have no plans to. I want what I want, no more, no less.

I like the idea of maybe having adventure specific sets that would highlight the less used monsters go along with key encounters in a published adventure as one product and then maybe something like minion sets that would contain bulks sets of common stock monsters…kobolds, goblins, orcs, and the like.

JMCampbell82

Explorer
I don't want won't a full mini pack. I don't mind subbing in figures, but I would really like some "minion" packs like a box set of 10 kobolds. You even already have the molds just use the existing kobold soldier molds give me like 5 of those 2 archers 2 guys with shields and 1 mage kobold. give me some sets like that for ~15-20 bucks.

kobolds
goblins
orcs
gnolls
zombie
skeletons

some special packs like
demons
elementals
angels

I'd drop a couple hundred dollars to get the needed. Then maybe some module packs. The only problem with module packs is it would be like the old Dungeon magazine covers. You see "invasion of castle X" and the mini has "Vampire Lord" that kind of gives away the adventure. It would have to hide the main boss mini, at least.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Rather than showing the monsters on the front of the pack, use the module cover art. That way it won't give away any more info, at least on the front.

SoulsFury

Explorer
I've never bought a mini, period. But if they had prepackaged minis for the modules, I would buy them for the modules I was running. I would love that!

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Specific sets for modules has been a question asked many, many, many times.

It's a shame that no-one listens because obviously there is a market for it.

As for the collectibility factor, well, they could easily pump a premium on such sets and people would still buy them. I really don't think it's a losing situation for them.

Add to that people who have stopped buying random packs for RPG use simply due to the massive expense and hassle of getting the RPG minis you want. Add to that all the people who don't buy into the collectibility factor and so don't buy the minis period.

Catering to a niche sector of the market could only benefit them, IMO.

D'karr said:
Don't be too sure. Goodman Games put out one of their GenCon Tournament modules as a boxed set with all the minis. They were metal and unpainted but it still was an awesome package deal.

:)

I just grabbed them out of a hat, as they are best known for adventures. I seem to remember the GSL prohibiting minis, but don't recall.

Remove ads