• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

zacharythefirst

First Post
If you're angry that you can't buy old TSR material, give WotC a month and they'll be selling to you again through the DDI.

If you're angry that you can't download your remaining 5 PDF copies, you should be pissed that RPGnow sold you a product that they can't deliver on.

Wizard is within its rights. RPGnow got caught with its pants down. Your bile is misdirected.

No, sir. I won't be giving WotC jack-crap, and they will not be selling to me through any outlet.

I don't care what WotC's rights are, there are things from a basic level of customer courtesy and fan relations that you do not do. You do not give ZERO DAYS NOTICE before cutting off already-purchased downloads. That's their right? OK. Does that make it anything other a foolish, inconsiderate, thoughtless, insulting move? No. It also would have been their right to give us some sort of notice. It would have been their right to work out some sort of alternative consideration for people who actually paid for their electronic product, one that retained some modicum of publisher/gamer trust. That's not the "right" they went with, is it?

There are too many game publishers who work at giving a crap, putting out a quality product, and show basic consideration for their fans to deal with this, or even spend time defending it. Customers and gamers deserve better, and it's out there.

Urizen

First Post
If you're angry that you can't buy old TSR material, give WotC a month and they'll be selling to you again through the DDI.

If you're angry that you can't download your remaining 5 PDF copies, you should be pissed that RPGnow sold you a product that they can't deliver on.

Wizard is within its rights. RPGnow got caught with its pants down. Your bile is misdirected.

Blah.

Did WOTC give rpgnow or Paizo ( or the customers) any warning whatsoever? No.

If I recall correctly, you have to give at least 30 days notice before you pull products from the site.

30 days is easily enough time for a customer to to download something 5 times, and I seriously doubt that OBS would ignore the fact that one of their largest-selling clients is canceling their account and not tell customers to download the products they had purchased before it was too late.

From what I can tell, WOTC just pulled the plug, which is likely a breach of contract on their part.

I could be wrong, if I am, someone say so.

Anyone think they'll try to somehow use this to promote DDI subscriptions?

That said, anyone else suspect that DDI sales aren't hitting expectations? Character visualizer, dungeon builder, and virtual game table all having had no news in months, getting on a year past when they were originally supposed to launch, and links to info on them getting removed from the DDI page?
Man I so un-observant I hadn't even notice their cancellation removal from the website.

Filcher

First Post
Hahahahaha, what.

Seriously.

What.

I can't think of a logical answer to this OR a snappy response. You're dead serious. You actually think that WotC has done nothing wrong here. I..am speechless.

Respectfully submitted:

I sell a product to Cirno. Cirno, Inc. tell its customers that they will be able to buy Filcher Paste to the end of time.

I stop producing Filcher Paste. Cirno Inc.'s customers are pissed ...

Because of promises I made?

No. Because of promises Cirno Inc. made.

But you're all pissed a Filcher Paste.

WotC is under no obligation to keep selling their PDFs. But folks are behaving like it is their right to buy them.

Phhhbbt.

WotC will sell the PDFs again. But not through RPGnow, who sold what they can't deliver.

Last edited:

HeirToPendragon

First Post
Post about piracy removed. Remember, folks, advocate piracy and get a free suspension! It's not something we want here. ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

freebfrost

Explorer
Hahahahaha!

Glorious!

It's news like this that makes me glad that I stopped buying any WotC products once they announced 4E, and put all my gaming funds over into Paizo. Not only did it save me a couple thousand a year, it supports a company that truly cares about its fans, and helps ensure that the legacy lives on in non-corporate setting.

And while the illegal pirated pdfs will remain on torrent sites for a long time to come, all of WotC's products are still legally available via eBay and used book stores for those looking for bargains, with the added benefit of sending no money to WotC's coffers! That's how I rounded out the rest of my collection (4E excluded).

Best news I've heard in a while.

:D

Respectfully submitted:

I sell a product to Cirno. Cirno, Inc. tell its customers that they will be able to buy Filcher Paste to the end of time.

I stop producing Filcher Paste. Cirno Inc.'s customers are pissed ...

Because of promises I made?

No. Because of promises Cirno Inc. made.

But you're all pissed a Cirno Inc.

WotC is under no obligation to keep selling their PDFs. But folks are behaving like it is their right to buy them.

Phhhbbt.

WotC will sell the PDFs again. But not through RPGnow, who sold what they can't deliver.

Do you not understand business?? If Wizards gives RPGNow the right to sell it's PDFs, people purchase them then they get taken away by Wizards, then thats Wizards wrong doing. Sure RPGnow should have to refund it's customers and Wizards needs to refund RPGNow, they didn't get to sell those PDF's for free.

Remove ads