WotC quietly deleting access to the 3e SRD

Yaarel

He Mage
The WotC website has quietly deleted access to the 3e SRD. This was earlier in the context of switching over to the 5e SRD. It gains new significance because of the recent legal hostility by Hasbro against the D&D community.

The 3e SRD is significant because it grants the D&D community legal access to most of the D&D tradition, such as the player character Drow from the 3e Monster Manual, ultimately innovated by Gary Gygax. One can legally modify this content.

The 3e SRD is for the Open Gaming License 1.0a.

As ENWorlders are beginning to realize: get these vital legal documents now while one can.

The 3e SRD (System Reference Document 3.5) exists as a collection of documents, each to a section. They can be found as .rtf files or .html webpages. They are made available

here

in this file

here

here

and here

The Open Gaming License 1.0a itself can still be found here along with the 5e SRD (v5.1)

in this document

Last edited:

Ondath

Hero
The WotC website has quietly deleted access to the 3e SRD. This was earlier in the context of switching over to the 5e SRD.
So I'm guessing this happened in 2014/2015 when SRD 5 (and later SRD 5.1 when they realised they forgot to put Eldritch Blast in OGC) was released, right? Not related to the current OGL v1.1 debacle?

Either case, I had downloaded SRD 5.1 recently and I'll get a copy of these just to be on the safe side.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
So I'm guessing this happened in 2014/2015 when SRD 5 (and later SRD 5.1 when they realised they forgot to put Eldritch Blast in OGC) was released, right? Not related to the current OGL v1.1 debacle?

Either case, I had downloaded SRD 5.1 recently and I'll get a copy of these just to be on the safe side.
It happened a few years later. WotC used to maintain an archival version of their old site. It got lost in one of the redesigns. I always chalked it up to a changing attitude that wasn’t interested in history or preservation.

ChaosOS

Legend
Last four years or so has been really bad for archival stuff. 4e support ended in 2019, and then two years later archive.wizards.com went down. Eberron community has been keeping close track of this because so much of our content was older editions.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
If anyone wants to acquire offline copies of the 3.0 SRD, 3.5 SRD, Modern SRD, 5.0 SRD, 5.1 SRD, d20 STL, original GSL, or the revised GSL, please drop me a line. I have local copies of all of them, and I don't mind sending them to anyone who's interested in having copies of their own.

Yaarel

He Mage
If anyone wants to acquire offline copies of the 3.0 SRD, 3.5 SRD, Modern SRD, 5.0 SRD, 5.1 SRD, d20 STL, original GSL, or the revised GSL, please drop me a line. I have local copies of all of them, and I don't mind sending them to anyone who's interested in having copies of their own.

d20 Modern System Reference Document

here

in this file

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases