D&D 5E WotC Sept 2023 player survey is live.

Clint_L

Hero
I have seen plenty of people refer to themselves as whales, particularly.whem bemoaning the fact that there are not 6 new D&D books every month. "WotC is leaving my money on the table!"
Using it about yourself is not the same as using it about others.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Doesn't "spendthrift" have the same negative connotations as "whale"?
I don't think so...not where I'm from anyway. It's just someone who is eager to spend money, or spends it too quickly. "Throws their money around," etc. I haven't heard it used as an insult before.

I've heard "miser" and "penny-pincher" used as insults before, but not "spendthrift." Spendthrifts are generally regarded as generous, charitable, and fun-loving where I come from. (But then again? Maybe it's different in other parts of the Midwest.)

John Lloyd1

Explorer
I don't think so...not where I'm from anyway. It's just someone who is too eager to spend money, or spends it too quickly. I haven't heard it used as an insult before. I've heard "miser" and "penny-pincher" used as insults before, but not "spendthrift." (But then again? Maybe it is in other parts of the midwest.)
It's one of those terms I never use. I must admit that, in my mind, by putting "spend" and "thrift" together you should get a word that means "miser" or "penny-pincher".

Remove ads