• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Spring 2009 Catalog

Glyfair

Explorer
My real question is - why didn't we think of spell cards as a prop earlier? (I mean it is not a new idea, but it wasn't widely used or suggested). What is different between earlier editions and 4E that makes people suddenly interested in it.
Indeed, it's not even a new product idea.

Wizard Spell Cards
Deck of Priest Spells
Deck of Magical Items
Deck of Psionic Powers

True, they didn't sell very well (I've rarely seen them, and mostly in backrooms at gaming stores).

Last edited:

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
No one commented on the question I asked earlier. Since it appears there will be cards for every class power...
- Will there be power cards for basic attacks and utilities, such as Melee Basic, Ranged Basic, Second Wind, First Aid, Intimidate?
- Will there be cards for class features that operate like powers but are not presented as such? For example, Arcane Implement Mastery, Sneak Attack, or Combat Challenge? (Some might debate the usefulness/"powerness" of these abilities, but I have cards of them for the same reason I have cards of attack powers: to keep me out of the PH when I'm at the table.)
- Will there be cards for magic items and their powers?​
Since, at this moment, the answer to all of the above is probably, "I don't know," does anyone else think there should be?

I'm interested in cards that cover the above. How about everyone else?

I am. I've been using homemade cards since playtest. I make cards for every power my character has, including racial powers, second wind, powers that come from magic items, and so on. It just makes it easier to manage every option from the same pool of information.

Unfortunately, I've seen no indication one way or the other concerning these non-class-related powers, so I'm guessing they won't be in the class decks. Could be wrong, of course. And if they aren't, maybe the class decks will come with some blank or customizable cards.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I cannot begin to state how fully I disagree with the people claiming that D&D plays like a CCG.

Thanks Mouse. I'm having a very hard time understanding why people feel like this is being forced upon them. It seems to me the cards are like any other game accessory. You don't need them to play. At all. If you think they might be nice to have, they're available.

BTW, does anyone remember the spell cards from 3rd edition? Do you really think 3rd edition was designed to force you to use spell cards? How is this different?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Player's Handbook 2
The book adds a new power source for 4th Edition D&D: classes using the new primal power source include the barbarian and the druid (no other classes named). (The cover lists Arcane, Divine and Primal Heroes.)
Hardcover, 224 pages, $34.95 releases March 17, 2009

Back on topic, I'm really excited to see this! I'm beginning to like how 4e expands with new classes. I just hope I manage to find time for a game before this is out.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Now that things are returning to normal for me, here is beginning of the usual catalog write-up:
note: this has beenupdated into the original post

RPGs

Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead
A D&D Supplement by Bruce R. Cordell, Eytan Bernstein, and Brian James
Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead depicts a host of new undead, including new varieties of zombies, wraiths, skeletons, ghouls, and vampires. Open Grave also introduces several completely new types of undead, such as moongaunts, forsaken shells, and death oozes, to name just a few.
The sourcebook also provides information about undead origins, tactics, myths, lairs, behaviors, and more. In addition, this book provides elaboratelair entries (including tactical encounters) for undead at each tier of play. Broad story and campaign elements in Open Grave give DMs ready-to-play material that can be easily incorporated into a game, such as undead templates and power substitutions, adventure hooks and quests, and statistics for unique undead such as Acerak and Vecna.

Hardcover, 228 pages, $29.95
January 20, 2009

Player's Handbook Power Cards
A D&D Accessory
Players using Player's Handbook Power Cards don't need to crack open a rulebook every time they cast a spell - all the crucial informatoin is right in front of their eyes.
Each and every class power appearing in the Player's Handbook has its own card. Simply select the cards for your character's powers and you're ready to play!
Each deck of 100 cards includes all the powers from Player's Handbook for one of the eight classes featured in the book, plus a few blank cards for players to use for other powers.
The display box includes sixteen decks of power cards: two decks apiece for the cleric, fighter, paladin, ranger, rogue, warlock, warlord, and wizard.
Key Selling Points
  • Nonradomized: Each deck includes every power appearing in the Player's Handbook for its class
  • Each deck is designed for a specific class, making it an easy purchasing decision for players
  • Playtesting shows that combat cards are fun and easy to use and also speed up the game
  • Perfect companion product to the Player's Handbook
  • The only official power cards for D&D
$9.99
January 20,2009

Martial Power Cards
A D&D Accessory
Players using Martial Power Cards don't need to crack open a rulebook every time they swing a sword - all the crucial informatoin is right in front of their eyes.
Each and every power appearing in the Martial Power sourcebook has its own card. Simply select the cards for the powers your character is using and you're ready to play!
Each deck of 100 cards includes all the powers from Martial Power for one of the four classes features in the book - fighter, ranger, rogue, and warlord - plus a few blank cards for players to use for other powers.
The display box includes eight decks of power cards: two apaiece for the fighter, ranger, rogue, and the warlord.

$9.99
January 20, 2009

The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
A Star Wars Roleplaying Game Supplement by Rodney Thompson, JD Wilker, Patrick Stutzman, Gary Astleford, and Rob Brown
The Clone Wars Campaign Guide launches heroes into the middle of sweeping battles to determine the fate of the galaxy. This book provides everything you need to set your adventures during the conflict between the Galactic Republic and the Separatist forces under the command of Count Dooku.
This book includes new information for heroes on both sides of the war, including new talents, feats, prestige classes, and equipment designed to tailor characters to the unique feel of the Clone Wars conflict. More than just information for players, The Clone Wars Campaign Guide provides Gamemasters with descriptions and statistics for starships, vehicles, allies, opponants, and planets and features in-depth information on material drawn from Lucasfilm's new CG animated series, The Clone Wars.

Hardcover, 224 pages, $39.95
January 20, 2009

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
As far as Martial Power: wow! If the power cards are to be believed, that's 100 powers per class, which is more than what we've seen for them in the PHB. Hopefully that will not be too much feature creep ... I certainly hope there has been some SERIOUS playtesting, or we may find the original PHB much less useful for Martial characters.

For the rest: I'm surprised at the lack of products. I've been looking at the release schedule for the rest of this year and now into the next, and there's not a lot of products that I'm very interested in. The martial and arcane books are a given, as is the equipment guide, but the rest ... color me underwhelmed. I have to seriously question this new release strategy...does WotC not want to sell as many products for 4E?

Still, I'll take quality over quantity, so hopefully these new releases will avoid the "Sword and Fist" splat effect...

--Steve

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads