D&D 5E WotC Takes Control of D&D Translations

WotC has just announced that it is taking direct control of French, Italian, German, and Spanish versions of its D&D books (which previously were licensed to third parties). They’ll also be looking for new printers outside the US and China, and pricing books more equally in non-US markets. Localised social media accounts are being launched as well as localised pages on the D&D website...

WotC has just announced that it is taking direct control of French, Italian, German, and Spanish versions of its D&D books (which previously were licensed to third parties).

4383A8A3-E9A7-4FB7-B035-DAEF44E8B323.jpeg

They’ll also be looking for new printers outside the US and China, and pricing books more equally in non-US markets.

Localised social media accounts are being launched as well as localised pages on the D&D website.

The first products will be the Essentials Kit in September, along with the three core rulebooks.

The initial focus will be Europe and Latin America.

The French translation of DSA never really took off, but I still hzve a warm feeling about the setting. The alternative was the FR and it didn't click.
I'm the rare soul who adores both Aventuria and the Forgotten Realms.

In many ways they're quite similar:
  • inescapable living-history metaplots
  • kitchen-sink hodgpodges of multiple settings welded onto one another
  • inherently corporate commodities, but with eccentricities of a kind that would never make it to print if the settings were newly designed today
But in other ways they're quite dissimilar:
  • an absolutely enormous geography in which traveling between two locations within one tiny corner of the world takes weeks, sorry "tendays" vs. a continent rather too small to realistically contain all the diverse biomes it's supposed to
  • super-high magic vs. low-ish magic
  • North American vs. Western European
  • Renaissance historical vibes vs. feudal medieval vibes
  • an inexplicably palpable sense that this is only one of many settings for its game, and one that was originally someone else's playground vs. an equally palpable sense that this is the only setting for its game but also that there is no single person who thought this place up
And yet somehow they both work so well for me that I'm unable to choose only one or the other. But I might well be alone in the universe in that regard.

darjr

I crit!
That's what I thought as well for some time but they seem aiming for a 5.5 or AD&D 5e for 2024 nonetheless. That being said, translated material always lag behind and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Only authors like Ken Follet got simultaneous worldwide language release.
I think they are aiming for something quite unlike a 5.5 or AD&D 5e. More like a D&D 5th edition core books, 2nd edition. if that makes sense?

TheSword

Legend
It seems to me they will just be compiling the various rules and options they have had in other releases like Xanathar’s and Tashas up to this point. Replacing where it makes sense to. But essentially using rules already existing in 5e for the most part.

On that basis is it a new edition of the game if it essentially uses this editions rules?

Rigelchester
That one could work in science fiction.
Caer... it's a tough one. No player of mine would understand the Caer thing in Caer Dineval or Caer Konig.
That's because it's Welsh. Caer - Wikipedia
C. S. Lewis used it to represent the language spoken in Britain before the Anglo-Saxons took over.

A translation by sense would be to use a word from a language spoken by a people use used to inhabit the land but where displaced.

Last edited:

Mercador

Adventurer
I think they are aiming for something quite unlike a 5.5 or AD&D 5e. More like a D&D 5th edition core books, 2nd edition. if that makes sense?
Yeah, since they seem to just change the box layout. I wouldn't be mad really, moreover that I plan to purchase the Expansion Gift Box. At the same time, it will be the 50 years edition I guess.

darjr

I crit!
Yeah, since they seem to just change the box layout. I wouldn't be mad really, moreover that I plan to purchase the Expansion Gift Box. At the same time, it will be the 50 years edition I guess.
I suspect it’ll be more than that though.

Remove ads

Remove ads