Wotc takes on ... Optimization?!?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think the optimization views of WOTC and the CO board has always been different, but this book makes me wonder.

The best side of the CO board is a mental expercise, with characters existing in a vaccum, or at best against equal level challenges. At wrst, (well saying that would get me banned)

WOTC has been more about party optimization, at least thus far. But this book makes me wonder. It looks like they are trying to do mroe optimization by the CO boards standards, and that is very disappointing. Especially the bit about wowing people at the gaming table? I'd prefer to wow them with what my character is, not his DPR.

Another book for me to avoid with a ten foot pole.

If it is a real book. If it is the cover looks a lot different than most I have seen.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I would normally pass a book like this up, but this little tidbit caught my eye.

In addition to character optimization tips and player advice, this book includes entertaining sidebar essays written by celebrity gamers and a distinctive comic art style unlike other books in the D&D game line.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
4e is over already? Damn that was fast.

Anyways, a book like that would make more sense as padding before a new edition is released, since it implies content fatigue and an unwillingness to create new rules that will not be used (due to the pending edition update).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Wasn't something like this was done early in the lifetime of 3E, in the form of the Hero Builder's Guidebook back in December 2000?

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/868960000

Yeah, but this is book is triple the cost, triple the page count, and was given a green light during an economic slump when the entire print gaming industry is suffering. At time point in history, I don't think printing a throw away is not a best move (especially when you want maximum profits and your investors are skeptical).

Last edited:

Remove ads