• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E WotC this is something you absolutely cannot screw up in 5E like you screwed up in 4E

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Well, the scientific community is not agreed that Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus are separate genii.

How does the scientific community determine a dinosaur is a genius, either together or separately? Perhaps you meant genera? :p

(Another message brought to you by your local Pedant's Council.)

I am one for keeping the real-world names out of the game. Some of the game names could be better, but not every name is a winner.

Jawsh

First Post
It was one of several things for me (along with 4e creature naming in general).

I'd agree with that. 4E had some serious creature bloat. I once went looking for kobolds and came back with about 10 different xyz kobolds, and no generic kobold. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the variety, I just like how in 3E you could go to K in the Monster Manual and find the basic stats for a kobold.

Hussar

Legend
I'd agree with that. 4E had some serious creature bloat. I once went looking for kobolds and came back with about 10 different xyz kobolds, and no generic kobold. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the variety, I just like how in 3E you could go to K in the Monster Manual and find the basic stats for a kobold.

That's a bit of a misunderstanding of the system though Jawsh. There is no such thing as a basic kobold in 4e. It just doesn't exist. Pretty much all the humanoids are built that way, and even most of the monsters have a few versions, none of which are actually a "base" version.

It's a heavy nod back to older versions of D&D where you had 14 different "humans" and the like. To be fair though, I think it was largely only humans that got this treatment.

I gotta go with the critics on this one though. There are some seriously stupid names in D&D. Granted, that's always been true, but, not really a defense when you're doing something new. Just because we had C.I.F.A.L. thirty years ago does not excuse doing it now.

Incenjucar

Legend
One of the advantages of using fantasy names instead of Latin (and Greek) names is that you don't have to attach it to a specific, actual dinosaur. This can be quite helpful because sometimes a writer has no bloody idea what they're writing about, and sometimes a new discovery is made.

Anyone who knows the difference between a brontosaurus and an apatasaurus knows what I'm talking about. :uhoh:

malkav666

First Post
I don't really care if they use made up names Latin species/genus derivatives. Some of the names are silly in either case. But I know why WOTC did it and I don't suspect they will stop.

I can copyright and brand:

Darkplague Flithrats

I cannot copyright or brand:

Mammalia: Rodentia Rattus rattus
(I think I did that right)

I cannot copyright or brand:

Large Rat

So in short I think it was done to give the game a copyright friendly identity. Its not necessarily a bad thing. But some of the names are rather silly. But this behavior is pretty common in corporate America (The idea of naming a common item something else to give it a brandable identity), and since WOTC is owned by an American corporation it doesn't surprise me.

love,

malkav

Remove ads