WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license. This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'. So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently...

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
And do you non-WotC games are generally written poorly?

Thank you for your praise of Blueholme, though I expect it will be going away at some stage.
Whether they're written poorly and published that way, written poorly but corrected in editing, or written well through a lot of effort by the author, it's gotta be helpful at least to know that an official wording of a complicated rule can be reprinted without fear.

darjr

I crit!
Any chance you could elaborate on this darjr? Who's Finch and what prospects is he looking at? :)
It’s in Facebook and I dint think it’s public.

But he did respond with a quick off the cuff response.

Probably not. Because it doesn’t mention monsters or spells etc.

I expect he’s still mulling it over .

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
Good, but not good enough. They should release the whole SRD under CC-BY. Except the owlbear, they can keep their owlbear.

Jokes aside, It's good news, but I think they can do better with this creative commons public stunt. Release a robust document, the four base classes, the four base races, some monsters and some spells. And they should give something really dear to them as a peace offering, maybe the magic missile, the fireball, or the displacer beast.

Remove ads

Remove ads