WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license. This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'. So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently...

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Voadam

Legend
They don't want to publish "everything in the 5e rules." They want to publish a game system that uses the open parts (in the current draft, that would be the CC mechanics spelled out from the SRD 5.1) and build their own Classes, Races, Spells, Monsters, etc. Since they already have a giant back catalog of those, that may be easier for them to pull off than many.
Where is the line on derivative copyright rights for D&D ghouls as you look at Kobold's ghoul empire with paralyzing touch undead Imperial Ghouls, Darakhul, Iron Ghouls, etc.

How much IP does WotC have in the trade dress type elements of a monster stat block or a spell?

5e bare bones core mechanics are creative commons. Classes, spells, monsters, etc. are not safe harbored. Kobold has built a lot off the D&D OGC bones. That is partly the point of a large number of OGL products.

Bagpuss

Legend
"Wizards may declare the entire license void"
That's all you need to know bout that.

No it isn't the condition that they can declare it void is important to. The only condition is if it is challenged in court and found to be unenforceable, at which point it is effectively void anyway.

Xyxox

Hero
They don't want to publish "everything in the 5e rules." They want to publish a game system that uses the open parts (in the current draft, that would be the CC mechanics spelled out from the SRD 5.1) and build their own Classes, Races, Spells, Monsters, etc. Since they already have a giant back catalog of those, that may be easier for them to pull off than many.
SRD 5.1 will not end up under the Creative Commons in total. Only part of it will, and likely that will be very small, though we do not yet know the extent of it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
SRD 5.1 will not end up under the Creative Commons in total. Only part of it will, and likely that will be very small, though we do not yet know the extent of it.
I mean, they list the pages on the document. So we kind of at least know their intent.

The core D&D mechanics, which are located at pages 56-104, 254-260, and 358-359 of this System Reference Document 5.1 (but not the examples used on those pages), are licensed to you under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0).
(from their draft for discussion document)

We skip all of the classes and races to get to page 56.

Pages 56-104 has sections that are under the headings "Beyond 1st Level" (Which beyond advancement also includes multiclassing, alignment, languages, inspiration, Backgrounds), "Equipment", "Feats", "Using Ability Scores","Time", "Movement","The Environment", "Resting", "Between Adventures", "Order of Combat","Actions in Combat","Damage and Healing","Mounted Combat", "Underwater Combat", "Spellcasting" .

Then we skip all of the spells. We also skip over the rules for Traps, Diseases, Madness, Objects, Poisons, and Magic Items.
(I have no idea if the skipping of the rules for Traps, Diseases, Madness, Objects, and Poisons is deliberate or accidental due to the quasi-random organization the 5.1 SRD has. It's clear that the spells and magic items are deliberately left out tho).

Now we're at pages 254-260 which is Monsters, and covers the general terminology of a monster stat block.

We skip starting at page 261 - which is where the monster descriptions start - to pages 358 and 359, which is the summary of Conditions.

So it's the basic core rules minus the rules for Traps, Diseases, Madness, Objects, Poison, and the general rules for how Magic Items work (which again might be an oversight rather than intentional). No classes, no races, spells, no magic items. Just some but not all of the mechanics. The six basic ability scores are listed under "Using Ability Scores", so at least we're safe from them deciding to sue someone because they used the six common D&D ability scores.

BTW - I didn't notice this yesterday but it specifically excludes "examples" from the Creative Commons release. So they're being really precious about "protecting" the one Feat that is in the SRD (Grappler) and the one Background that is in the SRD (Acolyte) from nasty people who would use their examples in violation of their morality clause.

EDIT: And in case it's not clear, the core mechanic of roll a d20, add a number, compare to a difficulty is in the "Using Ability Scores" section and also in the combat section, even though you might think the core mechanic of the game would be on page 1 of a reference document.

Clint_L

Hero
BTW - I didn't notice this yesterday but it specifically excludes "examples" from the Creative Commons release. So they're being really precious about "protecting" the one Feat that is in the SRD (Grappler) and the one Background that is in the SRD (Acolyte) from nasty people who would use their examples in violation of their morality clause.
Dammit. There goes my adult fan fiction that opens on a scene of two acolytes grappling...

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Where is the line on derivative copyright rights for D&D ghouls as you look at Kobold's ghoul empire with paralyzing touch undead Imperial Ghouls, Darakhul, Iron Ghouls, etc.

How much IP does WotC have in the trade dress type elements of a monster stat block or a spell?

5e bare bones core mechanics are creative commons. Classes, spells, monsters, etc. are not safe harbored. Kobold has built a lot off the D&D OGC bones. That is partly the point of a large number of OGL products.
But the point remains that Kobold Press has all of these things as a basis to work off of that are their IP, which WOTC doesn't own, and if there is a potential for derivative claims, they have plenty of precedent to fall back on, at the least. Again, I'm simply saying that have a bank of both player and GM rules options to start from that few other rivals have.

Clint_L

Hero
Are we starting to get a consensus on what the 3PP community at large thinks of the new proposal, and what the lawyers think? I am getting the sense that it seems like a big step forward, but there are still some significant problems, especially around the "morality clause"?

I guess what I'm asking is: are we seeing progress?

Voadam

Legend
But the point remains that Kobold Press has all of these things as a basis to work off of that are their IP, which WOTC doesn't own, and if there is a potential for derivative claims, they have plenty of precedent to fall back on, at the least. Again, I'm simply saying that have a bank of both player and GM rules options to start from that few other rivals have.
They have a huge bank that is built off the SRDs. Figuring out what can be used from that bank or not safely outside of the OGL is a bit of a fraught exercise.

I don't know if it would be easier to come up with a new 5e core rules compatible race from scratch than to figure out the safe lines for using a Darakhul ghoul PC race that is derived significantly from OGL SRD material.

If I was Kobold I would want to be sure that I was set on where the lines are before publishing outside of the OGL.

Remove ads

Remove ads