D&D 5E WotC to increase releases per year?

jgsugden

Legend
Planescape Setting
Dark Sun Setting
Psionics Handbook
Dragonlance Setting
Greyhawk Setting
Spelljammer
Draconomican
Nerconomicon / Book of Vile Darkness
50 or so MtG Planes Options
Myth Drannor
Thay
The 9 Hells in Detail
Critical Role Book 3 (For Campaign 3 which should start by 2022)
Any number of Adventure Paths

I could pump out 6 book ideas a year, every year, for a decade and not be treading water.

Usually a player buys 4 books, but or he hasn't got enough money because he is a young student, or he is mature with a job and enough money but too busy. The sales strategy has to adjusted to that purchasing power level, trying to atract more new customers, and to use the brand to sell other merchandising products, toys, for example.

I actually want more settings books about different areas of the forgotten realms. It gets a lot of flack for being generic, but pretty much everything released has centred on the sword coast, with a deviation to chult etc.

Other than that, monsters. But monsters with cool legendary actions, lair actions, a new action that comes when they hit half hp, whatever.

Planescape Setting
Dark Sun Setting
Psionics Handbook
Dragonlance Setting
Greyhawk Setting
Spelljammer
Draconomican
Nerconomicon / Book of Vile Darkness
50 or so MtG Planes Options
Myth Drannor
Thay
The 9 Hells in Detail
Critical Role Book 3 (For Campaign 3 which should start by 2022)
Any number of Adventure Paths

I could pump out 6 book ideas a year, every year, for a decade and not be treading water.
Yup and that's just working with existing material. An actually-new D&D setting could be amazing if done with modern production standards and so on. We can go forwards as well as backwards.

I'm definitely for "increasing the cadence" of releases myself. I mean, first off, we're at that late point in an edition where it always happens, and second off, the slow cadence seemed to be mostly a thing designed to keep people from freaking out that there were "too many books" and to help convince people to shift back to D&D. We're already past the "too many books" point for the people who would get upset by that, so more books would be good.

I'm not really in their target market, since I mostly play other systems, but I do buy the occasional 5th edition book when the subject interests me. So, from my point of view, the more books they bring out the more chance there'll be one I like the sound of.

If I had been playing D&D regularly from the start I'd be eager for more player-facing content, but it seems like most people were happy with a slower release schedule.

What I'd really like would be a big book full of optional rules, that could be used to update settings like Dark Sun and Spelljammer without WotC needing to bring out an official setting of their own.

dave2008

Legend
I fully agree. We need another book full of monsters, not half a book. Monsters are by far my biggest need when I go towards third-party products.
I find this interesting. I love monsters books and can always use more monsters. But I definitely don't need more monsters. WotC has already released more monsters (over 700) than any RPG that isn't D&D or pathfinder. And there are thousands more from other 3PP and homebrew sources.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases