• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC/TSR back catalog poll

Would you subscribe to the DDI for access to the back catalog?

• Yes, I'd subscribe.

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • No, because ...

Votes: 53 63.9%
  • Only under the following conditions:

Votes: 9 10.8%

Humanaut

First Post
I had alot ready in Piazo's shopping cart... but I was waiting for the $$$ to buy. So besides being a ticked off, IF i could buy from WotC, download and own them i would. I would never do it subscription based.

Raven Crowking

First Post
No, I wouldn't, because I honestly can't trust WotC to not change the conditions or pull out the plug from one day to the next. They've done it far too many times now (d20 license, OGL/GSL, Dungeon/Dragon, Ravenloft, HackMaster, Drivethru/RPGnow, Virtual Gametable, free or nominal-fee pdfs with dead tree version purchases...) to trust their "good will" anymore.

This.

Also, the subscription model is poodoo.

RC

drothgery

First Post
Really, anything in the back catalog that I was willing to pay for, I already have. If I subscribe to D&Di -- and I may very well do so in the future -- it's going to be for 4e stuff (and if Lucas ever allows it, SWSE stuff), not the back catalog.

Jhaelen

First Post
If they mean consolidate all the information into something like the D&DI compendium and build all their rules for each edition into Rules Compendiums (and I do mean rules, not just character options), then hell yes.
That's what might convince me to subscribe.

If every 3E supplement was fully integrated into a database with a bunch of tools to allow me to quickly design npcs, monsters, encounters, and adventures and print the results in an attractive format, I'd subscribe (assuming the price is appropriate).

Ulrick

First Post
No, because...

I've already have a subscription to DDI. I got it back when I was incited about 4e and thought I'd really enjoy the game. If they offered PDFs of older stuff, I might renew my subscription. But that decision won't come for at least another 6 months.

So maybe in that time my mood toward 4e and WotC might lighten up a bit.

I know for certain I would not pay per download since I have subscribed to DDI.

Ysgarran

No, I'm afraid not. I'm done with the Hasbro/WotC brand of D&D.
The lack of notice regarding the yanking of PDF downloads is the final straw for me.

D&D (in all of its incarnations) has always been pretty much been the system of choice since it is the system that all of my friends know. The Pathfinder system provides a very viable alternative for me now.

I've always placed the story before the rules. IMHO, the current management for WotC/Hasbro have different priorities. I could go into more detail but those issues have been discussed on these boards at one point or another.

Suffice to say, I've chosen to spend my gaming dollars elsewhere.

The Ghost

Explorer
I voted "Yes" with certain caveats.

First, I want to be able to download all the books and store them on my computer. (I use a Mac so whatever they decide to do it should be usable on Apple products.)

Second, I want the to see the old modules redone to the same quality standards as what is being done now with 4e.

If they can achieve those two things I would buy into their product.

jeffh

Adventurer
It's not that I'm a 4E hater, it's not even that they yanked the PDFs off everyone else's site. It's that they yanked them with only a few hours' notice, and without announcing any sort of replacement. I'm seriously starting to not like the way these people do business; certainly I'm disinclined to do them any favours.

Besides, if access to this content were subscription-based, I wouldn't even consider it even if I were otherwise happy with WotC. I don't think that's a given as many others here seem to assume, but it's still worth saying.

Remove ads