• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

A quick perusal of the children's video section on Netflix or Prime will show you that there are many, many non-Disney iterations of these fairy tales. It's not a reasonable statement that they are being "stolen" from the public domain.
again (it's even in the second part of the quote) I was saying how some feel even if I disagree.

Haplo781

Legend
The Mickey Mouse who appears in Steamboat Willie enters the public domain in one year (Jan. 1, 2024).

I wouldn't bet on Disney getting the copyright term extended again, given what happened to the Reidy Creek Improvement District at Disney World.
A governor with a grudge is not the entire United States Federal Government.

Langy

Explorer
correct, you would need them to agree... I wasn't suggesting blind sideing them. If they turn down the ability to help insure that it is used fairly and not as a weapon I would be suprised though (again though I am willing to listen if someone has something I don't know about them)
Reasons they'd probably say no:
  • It's expensive to do so.
  • It's not something they already do or similar to something they already do.
  • Why would they agree?

Now, if you just made the clause "Anyone who is a member of a recognized hate group by the SPLC is not allowed to publish under this license" (but written better) would be something they'd be OK with, but they have no reason to police a single commercial company's licensees. It's just not what they do.

They can just add those back in. Nothing stops them from just doing that.
the same thing that stopped them this time
US
I am not suggesting we all go home and let WotC do what ever they like. I am suggesting we say "these are what we are, and these are what we are not willing to compramise on"
Now I may be more liberal with what I will give up, but if they already lost the first 10% (never coming back no matter what) and teh next 5% (cause the line was in a farther place then mine) and they move that line again and lose me too that is starting to add up to what they don't want to lose.

Reps are cheap. ~$200,000 - $500,000

Senators are bloody expensive. You've got to hire them after they retire, or give them stock options... it's a mess.

Governors are where it's at. Sometimes you can get one for a ride in a Ferrari.
I wish there was a reaction emojie for the pain on my face as I read this and realized not a single word of it was not true... moments like this I hate knowing some of the things I know

Remove ads

Remove ads