WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

That's exacarly what people were saying about paid horse armor dlc in gaming and now look where we are, lootbox laden microtransactions and live service hellscapes all around..
as not much of a video game guy (unless you count PS2 and before... mostly retro stuff now like mario maker) what does 'paid horse armor' have to do with micro transactions and loot boxes in there current form?
Before that? It was said the same about large department stores and grocery chains. Now a days? Countless small businesses gone, near monopolistic digital marketplaces, and good luck finding a single grocery store that isn't owned by the same five or six corporations.

I trust "tyr to be tyr" (I found the quote it was andromida)
I don't trust WotC to do what's right because it is the right thing to do. I trust WotC to do the closest they can skirt between right and profit because we the customers threatened that profit.

This doesn't mean I myself will always get my way. I am 1 voice in many. However if they step out of line too much I believe there are plenty of voices here.

I don't need to win everything. I can accept half way and just remain vigilante for next time.

If you give in this easily, there's basically no reason to think they won't immediately change it and ignore you because you've basically already shown the ability to forgive them for anything. Once you let them pass for this one, just about anything follows.

That wasn't my line in the sand, maybe it is for you. In that case fight on, but I will only fight until a compromise that I think is good enough.

I mean, you don't really seem to have lines because you're accepting a deal that doesn't let you have any. You can say that there's a line is there, but the other side never said there was and doesn't really have to recognize it in any way.

If you give in this easily,
what esily... I was part of the movement that made them drop the parts I hated most and keep the parts I liked best... that doesn't seem like giveing in.

In fact it would ONLY be giving in easy, if you assume we had the same issues goals and lines in the sand.
there's basically no reason to think they won't immediately change it and ignore you because you've basically already shown the ability to forgive them for anything.
no I showed when they took the parts I was most mad at I was willing to consider going back...

again your line of thought only works if you think everyone has the same red line you do...
Once you let them pass for this one, just about anything follows.
why? if they just found out X% said this far no farther why would they try to go farther? they found there stopping ground.

How can ANYONE ever ask for anything if once you get some, most or all of it you are supposed to say "not enough"
I mean, you don't really seem to have lines because you're accepting a deal that doesn't let you have any.
no royalties... and no 1 week/6month limit
still no hate speech,
looks to me like I still have some, you just want me to have MORE of them
You can say that there's a line is there, but the other side never said there was and doesn't really have to recognize it in any way.
they DID recognize it (so far, I mean they can back slide, and if they do I will change my stance)

It's like this I said I wanted to pay $5 and they said they wanted $25.... after a few back and forths we got to $10, and I said "fine good enough" if they then say "nah back to $25" I will jusst say "Nah back to nothing I'm not now paying $25"

Your entire argument is "After they lowered the $25 to $10 they could go right back to $25..." my argument is "They just found out $25 wasn't working and got to $10, why would they try again?"

also, it might be helpful for me to rephrase - technically it was a DLC, but in effect it was the first thing in gaming that could be considered a microtransaction (in this case, buying a minor cosmetic). it set the stage for microtransactions, basically.
thank you in the morning when I am supposed to be working (as apposed to now when I am supposed to be sleeping) I am going to look this up.

Remove ads

Remove ads