WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Is there a reason why ORC isn't the answer for people that don't want WotC to have control?
Wizards put their 3.x SRD under the OGL 1.0a.

Wizards claimed that it would remain licensed under the OGL 1.0a in perpetuity.

People built businesses around what was at the time clearly a legally binding promise from Wizards.

Wizards has now decided to wiggle word out of that promise and claim that they can revoke the license on that material.

This disrupts the businesses of everyone who assumed that Wizards was operating in good faith.

(The new OGL doesn't solve any of this because a) it's far more restrictive than 1.0a is to the point of not really being "open" in the sense that open licenses are and b) the 3.x SRD isn't going to be covered by it anyway.)

Wizards put their 3.x SRD under the OGL 1.0a.

Wizards claimed that it would remain licensed under the OGL 1.0a in perpetuity.

People built businesses around what was at the time clearly a legally binding promise from Wizards.

Wizards has now decided to wiggle word out of that promise and claim that they can revoke the license on that material.

This disrupts the businesses of everyone who assumed that Wizards was operating in good faith.

(The new OGL doesn't solve any of this because a) it's far more restrictive than 1.0a is to the point of not really being "open" in the sense that open licenses are and b) the 3.x SRD isn't going to be covered by it anyway.)
I understand why that is a "I stand for principle" but that isn't a mechanic issue... with what they are offering with the CC can't ORC take all of the backbone fo D&D?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
So the new CC rules for making 5e isn't enough?
There's a thorough breakdown of what the roughly 15% of the actual 5.1 SRD they are putting in CC doesn't contain floating around these threads and it's alot. Not to mention the various Modern SRDs and 3E as well. As of right now they aren't included at all. They say they'll probably add them, but you know, their word is worth nothing so 🤷‍♂️

There's a thorough breakdown of what the roughly 15% of the actual 5.1 SRD they are putting in CC doesn't contain floating around these threads and it's alot. Not to mention the various Modern SRDs and 3E as well. As of right now they aren't included at all. They say they'll probably add them, but you know, their word is worth nothing so 🤷‍♂️
again, the systems I know of have there own class/race/feats/skills/spells so what do they need?
I see lots of things that some want. I understand that having magic missile is cool, but if you have the ability to make your own 1st level spells how does this effect things?

Remove ads

Remove ads