WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
So...pre-existing stuff is fine, but no new 1.0??

Is that right?

Essentially. Keep selling PF1/LevelUp/OSR stuff, but...nothing new?

That appears to be what they're saying.
Legally, I don't think they can actually stop third parties from offering 1.0a licenses, they can just stop offering them themselves. So, if everyone starts using the Mongoose pocket handbooks under 1.0a...

Sorry, genuinely curious besides no 3E SRD what else would a 3PP consider a poison pill? I don't prefer it to what we have now but I wouldn't mind a more thorough breakdown.
The clearest poison pill is the morality clause which they get to define at will. If they allowed the use of their brands and trademarks (which 1.0a does not), then I can buy that. Otherwise something is beating them and they find a forum post 10 years old and pull the product.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Looking at you NuTSR.
Not so much, since insofar as I know, nuTSR didn't try to publish anything under the OGL.

That's not a lie. That's just their truth that people don't want to hear.
Their truth is based on a fear that, to my mind, has little to justify it; call it "truthiness" perhaps. ;)

As I noted above, nuTSR didn't try to publish anything under the OGL (that I'm aware of). In the last twenty-three years, the most infamous OGL product, in terms of content that falls outside of what's broadly considered to be "acceptable" is almost certainly The Book of Erotic Fantasy. That's a book from 2003, meaning that in twenty years, there has yet to be any particular work which has somehow brought any sort of notoriety to the tabletop RPG field as a whole. Certainly, there are worse products out there, but they've garnered almost no attention whatsoever, having been released and almost immediately purged from our sub-cultural consciousness.

WotC might be saying that this is a red line, but history suggests that the level of concern they have for this is unwarranted. Between that, and how much trust they've already lost, and that this isn't (as you correctly noted) an open license, this isn't something I personally feel comfortable compromising on, and I hope the rest of the tabletop RPG community doesn't either.

Remove ads

Remove ads