WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

mamba

Legend
I read that as "you can combine your content with our content, and make a finished product out of it, and distribute it to customers" - not that "your content" becomes reusable by other creators under that license.
section 5 is better "You can make your Content available under any terms you choose but you may not change the terms under which we make Our Licensed Content available."

The Southern Poverty Law Center or some other nonprofit civil rights organization should arbitrate questions of hateful content for everyone - including Wizards.
I could totally support that, they are one of my favorite groups, and I almost always agree with them. I could get behind useing them as an arbiter if there is a disagreement, THAT I might put in the survey.

Thank you

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
That's a very big if.

I've honestly never expected 1D&D to be more successful than 5E. My natural expectation would be that it would be slightly less successful but still pretty big.
Same. I also look forward to seeing how successful the ORC-licensed games are, in the hope that the D&D alternatives end up with a bigger share than they do now. Personally, I do not want to have my livelihood 100% dependant on the whims of a single company, so the more baskets I can spread my eggs around, the better.

Plokman

Explorer
"have to see the fine print" ;)

At a certain point, you have to take "Yes," for an answer.

You might not be willing to compromise. But this is a company with a brand. They have reason to fear - especially recently (nuTSR) and especially with regard to their movie and other products coming out.

In the end, "But we have to force them to allow terrible racists products for D&D," may not be the hill you want to die on.
Very wise, still gonna use a electron microscope to find any fine print.

no idea either, but that is for them to worry about. If we get a good 1.2 and it turns out they cannot revoke 1.0a, I can live with that ;)
Depending on the specifics of it, that compatibility mark is the only real sweetener here (not interesting to me personally), but I'd say you're giving up way much for that right now.

mamba

Legend
WotC does not want a competing VTT which can offer those things. Foundry VTT can do those things RIGHT NOW.
I agree, my solution to this is to put into the OGL that the WotC VTT is restricted to the same limitations they have in their VTT policy. Solves that one for good :D

Remove ads

Remove ads