WotC updates SRD resources page with CC faq and SRD 5.1 under CC

Reynard

Legend
@JEB

"Right off the bay, it looks like they are planning to release the OGL v5.2 on Monday Jan 16th (which include more species and the artificer)"

I don't know who that is, but considering they don't know the difference between the OGL and the SRD I would pretty much dismiss them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't know who that is, but considering they don't know the difference between the OGL and the SRD I would pretty much dismiss them.
Well, this was apparently a legit leak of WotC first attenpt ar damage control g out to puvlishers directly, even if this guy is confused (no edit button on Twitter).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, the rest of the thread is consistent with other leaks of 2.0.

I wonder if SRD 5.2 is/was going to be/will be the One D&D SRD.
I mean, an SRD for OneD&D at some point would be expected. If I were them (and clearly I'm not), I'd keep OneD&D OGL, but make a new STL with bigger carrots than the d20 STL had (access to sell toNd&D Beyond customers, the right to use WotC trademarks, something between CC/OGL and DMsGuild basically). That would give WotC a mechanism to help distinguish approved from unapproved third party content. But who knows what theybwill actually do.

see

Pedantic Grognard
The "GPL is more free/open because it keeps people from appropriating free/open material" versus "BSD is more free/open because it gives people more rights to use free/open material" debate was so old already a quarter-century ago.

Definitional debates can't be won, only appealed to authority. If somebody is using "open" the other way, don't argue the definition, just let it go.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
The "GPL is more free/open because it keeps people from appropriating free/open material" versus "BSD is more free/open because it gives people more rights to use free/open material" debate was so old already a quarter-century ago.

Definitional debates can't be won, only appealed to authority. If somebody is using "open" the other way, don't argue the definition, just let it go.
I think the dust settled on GPL being more "free", while BSD being more "open"? But this put the GPL at a disadvantage, as it struggle to explain its benefit over BSD without including a multi page essay on how "free" do not mean "free beer" but "freed slave". :/

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
CC-BY-SA makes no provision for holding back product identity as the OGL does. If any smidgen of CC-BY-SA content gets into your work, the whole thing must be released under the same license.

I can't imagine many 3PPs being willing to use CC-BY-SA.
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. I couldn't really use it for any book which contains IP I need to keep, which means I'd need to use the OGL v1.0a instead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases