• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Walks Back Some OGL Changes, But Not All

Wizards of the Coast has finally made a statement regarding the OGL. The statement says that the leaked version was a draft designed to solicit feedback and that they are walking back some problematic elements, but don't address others--most notably that the current OGL v1.0a is still being deauthorized. Non-TTRPG mediums such as "educational and charitable campaigns, livestreams, cosplay...

Wizards of the Coast has finally made a statement regarding the OGL. The statement says that the leaked version was a draft designed to solicit feedback and that they are walking back some problematic elements, but don't address others--most notably that the current OGL v1.0a is still being deauthorized.
  • Non-TTRPG mediums such as "educational and charitable campaigns, livestreams, cosplay, VTT-uses" are unaffected by the new license.
  • The 'we can use your content for any reason' provision is going away
  • The royalties aspect is also being removed
  • Content previously released under OGL v1.0a can still be sold, but the statement on that is very short and seems to imply that new content must still use OGL v1.1. This is still a 'de-authorization' of the current OGL.
  • They don't mention the 'reporting revenue' aspect, or the 'we can change this in any way at 30 days notice' provision; of course nobody can sign a contract which can be unilaterally changed by one party.
  • There's still no mention of the 'share-a-like' aspect which defines an 'open' license.
The statement can be read below. While it does roll back some elements, the fact remains that the OGL v1.0a is still being de-authorized.

D&D historian Benn Riggs (author of Slaying the Dragon) made some comments on WotC's declared intentions -- "This is a radical change of the original intention of the OGL. The point of the OGL was to get companies to stop making their own games and start making products for D&D. WoTC execs spent a ton of time convincing companies like White Wolf to make OGL products."

Linda Codega on Gizmodo said "For all intents and purposes, the OGL 1.1 that was leaked to the press was supposed to go forward. Wizards has realized that they made a mistake and they are walking back numerous parts of the leaked OGL 1.1..."

Ryan Dancey, architect of the original OGL commented "They made an announcement today that they're altering their trajectory based on pressure from the community. This is still not what we want. We want Hasbro to agree not to ever attempt to deauthorize v1.0a of the #OGL. Your voices are being heard, and they matter. We're providing visible encouragement and support to everyone inside Wizards of the Coast fighting for v1.0a. It matters. Knowing we're here for them matters. Keep fighting!"

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

When we initially conceived of revising the OGL, it was with three major goals in mind. First, we wanted the ability to prevent the use of D&D content from being included in hateful and discriminatory products. Second, we wanted to address those attempting to use D&D in web3, blockchain games, and NFTs by making clear that OGL content is limited to tabletop roleplaying content like campaigns, modules, and supplements. And third, we wanted to ensure that the OGL is for the content creator, the homebrewer, the aspiring designer, our players, and the community—not major corporations to use for their own commercial and promotional purpose.

Driving these goals were two simple principles: (1) Our job is to be good stewards of the game, and (2) the OGL exists for the benefit of the fans. Nothing about those principles has wavered for a second.

That was why our early drafts of the new OGL included the provisions they did. That draft language was provided to content creators and publishers so their feedback could be considered before anything was finalized. In addition to language allowing us to address discriminatory and hateful conduct and clarifying what types of products the OGL covers, our drafts included royalty language designed to apply to large corporations attempting to use OGL content. It was never our intent to impact the vast majority of the community.

However, it’s clear from the reaction that we rolled a 1. It has become clear that it is no longer possible to fully achieve all three goals while still staying true to our principles. So, here is what we are doing.

The next OGL will contain the provisions that allow us to protect and cultivate the inclusive environment we are trying to build and specify that it covers only content for TTRPGs. That means that other expressions, such as educational and charitable campaigns, livestreams, cosplay, VTT-uses, etc., will remain unaffected by any OGL update. Content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected.

What it will not contain is any royalty structure. It also will not include the license back provision that some people were afraid was a means for us to steal work. That thought never crossed our minds. Under any new OGL, you will own the content you create. We won’t. Any language we put down will be crystal clear and unequivocal on that point. The license back language was intended to protect us and our partners from creators who incorrectly allege that we steal their work simply because of coincidental similarities . As we continue to invest in the game that we love and move forward with partnerships in film, television, and digital games, that risk is simply too great to ignore. The new OGL will contain provisions to address that risk, but we will do it without a license back and without suggesting we have rights to the content you create. Your ideas and imagination are what makes this game special, and that belongs to you.

A couple of last thoughts. First, we won’t be able to release the new OGL today, because we need to make sure we get it right, but it is coming. Second, you’re going to hear people say that they won, and we lost because making your voices heard forced us to change our plans. Those people will only be half right. They won—and so did we.

Our plan was always to solicit the input of our community before any update to the OGL; the drafts you’ve seen were attempting to do just that. We want to always delight fans and create experiences together that everyone loves. We realize we did not do that this time and we are sorry for that. Our goal was to get exactly the type of feedback on which provisions worked and which did not–which we ultimately got from you. Any change this major could only have been done well if we were willing to take that feedback, no matter how it was provided–so we are. Thank you for caring enough to let us know what works and what doesn’t, what you need and what scares you. Without knowing that, we can’t do our part to make the new OGL match our principles. Finally, we’d appreciate the chance to make this right. We love D&D’s devoted players and the creators who take them on so many incredible adventures. We won’t let you down.

GreyLord

Legend
if you disagree with a companies direction, sell the stock

That's not going to happen with long time holders. If they've had it for several decades, something like this is not the reason to sell. Not yet at this point at least. Especially with it seeming to be improving. The time to panic sell was last month or the month prior. Long time investors stick around because it makes more money to hold long term (for them and their way of doing things) than jumping around a lot.

Plus, as it goes up and looks to go up, it would just be losing money (in relation to what it could be if you sold later).

Selling wouldn't change anyone's mind either. Not right now it wouldn't. At least in my opinion. Better to be on the inside than the outside.

Around Dec 20 (I actually think it hit a lower point on the 22nd, but end of day was higher) was the low point. It was not a surprise that it was going down at that point either. The Low was around $10 lower then it is now (give or take a dollar or two). It has had a steady rise (for stocks that is, it's never a straight line, nor is it an even line when talking on stocks normally) since then. This includes the past week with the commotion on D&D.

Since Dec 20 it has been on a steady rise. As I said, it is doing decently right now, and if it continues on this track could be good in around a year (maybe even shorter. It may even start hitting highs around March if one is lucky, just talking from a stock perspective and things that COULD happen around then).

What this means is that for those who are only interested in the stock side of things and the business side of things, Hasbro actually is not doing badly at this time. From that perspective I do not see the incentive to make them change course, nor does it give many any ammunition for them to change course in the board room if only looking at it from that perspective.

That does NOT mean there are not sympathetic voices in the mess or that everyone agrees with those making these choices. D&D Beyond may be a good item to use, but there WILL be voices countering that argument as well, including pointing out to other things going on that are on an upward trend in the company itself. I don't think the people on these forums or elsewhere are alone in the fight, there are those in the company itself or that have associations which are particularly not happy with some of the course selections that are currently being made.

I think there are misunderstandings on both sides of the lines right now. I think that it's not all peaceful behind the scenes either, but there are those who have the power overall that are pretty strong willed on certain things.

I hear people saying everyone at Hasbro is evil or everyone that is connected to them are evil. I imagine that can be painful to hear at times for those who are in the same boat but don't have the power to actually do a ton of stuff to change anything. Sure, there have been suggestions probably, and small battles have been "won" as they may put it in their response yesterday, but the overall situation is what you see.

Personally I am with everyone else here. As a gamer, I am just wanting to play the game as well. I am absolutely fuming, myself, at what's happened over the past week. With Paizo's ORC, I am gritting my teeth and just extremely furious at the choices they are making with D&D. I can see a situation where they are allowing a rise of another company (despite playing PF as well and loving what they've done with the game, they are not WotC or D&D) that could occur similar to what happened at the end of 4e. It makes me want to kick buckets as hard as I can. I am absolutely mad about that. I also feel almost helpless in regards to what HAS is doing about all right now in this situation. I think it is an absolute travesty and BAD PR. I think it is ESPECIALLY BAD RIGHT BEFORE THE MOVIE comes out and could see it affecting that, but I have nothing to back that up currently except my own personal feelings.

Beyond is one thing, and it may be that this will be a strong enough message from it that will make them change course. I do not know. It's uncharted waters. I feel there ARE a LOT Of eyes on that movie though. That's a LOT of presence there that can affect D&D. That's what I see as a turning point, depending on what happens with it.

It could happen sooner, it could happen quicker. You are talking about people committed to a course of action.

Overall, though, right now...there are going to be voices that point out that I should not be unhappy with how HAS is doing. They have a strong argument for the current course I think.

Changing their minds is going to take some very strong messages and other things occurring. I am not trying to discourage people at all, I am ON your side. I am just pointing out that it could be an uphill battle. Yes, people unsubscribed to Beyond...but has it led to them stating specifically that the 1.0a cannot be revoked yet, or rewording the "de-authorization" where it will appease those that are upset about how they interpret it currently?

You may be surprised at how many longtime (as opposed to day traders or shorter term) stockholders are actually invested in the Hasbro properties because they actually enjoy the materials and items involving Hasbro, including D&D and/or Magic among other things. You think the board is representing THEM with some of these decisions or making the decisions those stockholders want? It just that they currently don't have the power there to stop the course that's been chosen. I'd imagine there are at least a few on these very forums that have HAS stock. I can't imagine most of them are happy with the current situation in regards to D&D (and/or possibly MtG as well, or at least the past few months in that regards).

Part of that is probably not having the ammunition to fight the fight yet, or being able to prove that the current course is the wrong one to those committed to this course of action.

I apologize for the extremely long post. I am Mad at what is happening to D&D right now and a lot of this is probably just venting.

TLDR - I am mad about the situation right now with D&D and HAS/WotC's response. I see ORC as a possible threat to D&D's dominance. I feel powerless in regards to the decisions going on, even if some there consider even the little turning they've done as our side having "won." I feel that there are those that are stockholders that also sympathize with the rest of the community on this. They are not a monolithic group. Some don't like what's occurring either. Those stockholders just don't have the power right now to change the course that has been chosen.
Almost all stocks have gone up from that point. I am a Hasbro shareholder and follow them. There does not appear to be any company specific reason for the recent stock moves after the BoA analyst report was absorbed.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
Am I the only one seeing consistent ignored moderation? lol

It won't hit stock prices until the news gets more out there in the mainstream media.

All this attention is going to get some investor to ask "What actually is D&D's brand, what is the product."

If anyone digs, I dont think they are going to like what they find.

and i disagree with that

I mean everything works right up until it doesn't.

all I see is a lot of "Never make anything better" and "We don't need to stop things cause it MIGHT get abused"

no argument yet on why d20 Nazi RPG should have a chance...
Oh. That's simple.

So they can be seen. Rats like to hide in dark places, normally. I love knowing where the monsters are when they drag themselves into the light. Something about their egos just prevent any form of self preservation.

I mean, evil people are going to evil. I'd rather see the buggers than have to root them out. I know people say that's allowing them to normalize their behavior, but only so long as it takes for a nest of them to show up.

But hey, that's me.

GreyLord

Legend
Almost all stocks have gone up from that point. I am a Hasbro shareholder and follow them. There does. It appear to be any company specific reason for the recent stock moves after the BoA analyst report was absorbed.

It is going up. It's underperformed though. Have you contacted your representative on the board (or maybe you are on the board) yet? I think that's the most effective way to try to convey your feelings on this matter currently.

That's probably the most effective thing shareholders can do right now in regards to the situation I feel. Whether on one side of the coin or the other, at least they can try to get the board representatives to hear their side of the matter.

mamba

Legend
Selling wouldn't change anyone's mind either.
that was not the reason I gave for selling (also, if enough did, chances are it would, as that shows that you do not believe in their strategy)

If you look at this from a purely investment perspective and do not care whether it is ethical or moral, then don’t come here claiming sympathy for those affected, because you show none.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
wait... almost like simple guard rails would make them better...

If I wanted to say "Just nuke the OGL" I would... infact if you look back before this blow up I have MANY times said I saw good and bad that came from it.

However seeing this restriction added I liked.

An argument that drunk driving should be illegal, even if mixed with 'bars should have to cut off people drinking too much' argument is not "I am against all alcohol"

An argument that putting restrictions on something makes it better is NOT being against the something... infact if you are saying the restriction helps make it better you are trying to improve the thing... now we can disagree. You can say "I don't think that is needed, or "I don't like that" but pretending that an argument for improvement is an argument to destroy something makes no sense.

That means the only open license can ever be "Do what ever you want with this" and we already know the OGL didn't say that.
What you are ignoring here is that people don't trust WotC to make that call. They have too much of a vested interest in controlling content.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads