WotC Wants You To Help Shape D&D

Wow - that took quite a bit of time!

Wow - that took quite a bit of time!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I really had to reread that question a few times to make sure it actually was asking what it seemed to be asking. Especially since it was the 4th question after questions about settings, races, and classes. I mean, why else would I be taking this survey? LOL

Good stuff overall, though. Who doesn't love some freebies thrown in with purchase they were going to make anyway? Thanks for posting it [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION]!

There are some people who only watch other people play, or who only read the rulebooks. They might have favorite classes and races and settings...without ever playing the game.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
It's a different environment. Back then there were tons of news and rumours about the upcoming game to collate. In the run-up to 4E, 5E, Pathfinder 2, I did the same, and I'm sure I will for 6E if/when it ever happens. But in the middle of an edition's cycle, especially one with far fewer releases, there's just less news to talk about. At least in terms of official 5E product releases. Even so, I've scooped plenty of them ahead of time over the last few years. As for fastest - well, I updated it daily then, much like I do now, except these days we have additional columnists adding info about a wider range of games too.

I'm very content with how Enworld operates.

My comment was more aimed at noticing how forums have shifted to discussion and redditt/twitter are the FLASH news system.

Plus as you note, the environment has certainly changed from then to now.

Anyone remember dialing into their local/topical bbs system?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I haven't found that to be true in my experience. Especially when you factor in forum posts by community members, which is basically what twitter and Reddit is. Experience varies I guess. Sure, if you follow official Twitter accounts your going to get official news as fast as anyone can from those sources, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison to make with a site that collates information from numerous sources after things have been announced.

This is also true.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My comment was more aimed at noticing how forums have shifted to discussion and redditt/twitter are the FLASH news system.

Yeah, though I think that long-form articles are still needed; all those Twitter links need to link to something somebody has written. Whether that be the press release at a product site, news about events round the world, or previews of stuff, somebody still has to actually write it so the folks on Twitter etc. can link to it. This site gets tons of traffic from social media, so people are following links here to news articles. It all works as intended. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jrowland

First Post
Honestly, I miss dragon magazine. I miss the expectation of finding it in the mailbox. The 30 day news blackout and the excitement of a new announcement. Too much instant gratification now. Bah humbug, get off my lawn!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I nearly stopped taking it because of that. I HATE when they do that, and while I understand why tests like that exist in other mediums, it makes absolutely no sense here. If they get conflicting answers within one survey, then in turn they will get erratic data across many surveys and...how does that help them? Very strange.

But the big questions were good, so hopefully...Planescape? ;-P

Asking the same thing 5 different ways is a good way to rule out misunderstanding. I may have a specific reaction to the phrasing/situation/word understanding/etc. that is different than expected. Asking the same thing in different ways helps to show that.

barasawa

Explorer
They could easily cut that thing down by a third just by eliminating the obvious duplicates and easily inferred ones.
For example, If you've already asked the date of when you encountered the game the first time, and then how much later than that you actually played it, you don't have to ask the date of when you played it.

Also, some questions had ranges with gaps. Like 0, 1-6, etc. What about less than 1(whatever, years, weeks, etc) but more than 0...

And as I've seen others mention, the whole thing is just too long.

I don't think it was a well written survey, and it felt more like pure marketing as opposed to a development thing. After all, development is focused on making a product more enjoyable and useful for a purchaser, while marketing just wants to figure out how to sell you more.

Remove ads

Remove ads