• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC: When will we see rest of D&D Insider API?

Asmor

First Post
I was hoping someone from WotC could help me with two things.

First and foremost, we've been waiting for months for the third installment on the D&D Insider API which was mentioned in the end of the second installment.

Also important, the second installment is completely gone as far as I can tell. I've checked the new website's archive and on the date it was released (6/22, going by the url), there's nothing there about it. The link I have for the second installment, taken from Gaming in Code, is http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insidernews/20090622, which gets transformed into http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/insidernews/20090622 under the new site. Google doesn't have a cache of it, and neither does archive.org.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
I would hesitate before calling out WotC on the matter of that blog, since the entries entries were unofficial, I believe? Still, the blog itself is still live, it's just the link that's dead, so probably just an oversight.

Dire Bare

Legend
Yeah, looks like the blog you link to, while the blog of a WotC employee, is not a WotC blog . . . in other words, WotC has no responsibility for what has been posted.

If indeed this resource has been taken away, that's a shame, but it would be wrong to scream foul at WotC.

Note, I don't think the OP is doing this, but I can forsee much wailing and gnashing of teeth if this turns out to be permanent.

Guys, the article in question was actually the second in the series. The first was "unofficial" on the blog, the second was "official" on the WotC site. The article on the WotC site now appears to be gone, but I am wondering if it is a matter of not doing proper translation of the old URL or if the article is gone entirely. It could be a missed category in the conversion process to the new site. The third (so far as I know unpublished) article was supposed to cover authentication. I would also like to see it published.

Asmor

First Post
Yes, Rabulias, thank you. Glad to see it's preserved somewhere.

As miscreationist has pointed out, this was something which was officially endorsed by WotC. In fact, part of the problem here is that the second part was only posted on the WotC website, and has been lost to the site redesign (or had been, thanks again Rab).

But like I said, I already know the stuff from the second part. That's really only of use to other people looking to get started with the API. I really want to see the rest of it, and I know I'm not alone.

Dire Bare

Legend

Hmm, well, nevermind then! :)

It does raise the question (in my mind at least) on how much freedom WotC staffers have on their company blogs. I doubt WotC makes them submit their posts for review before publication, or anything like that . . . but what happens if a staffer posts something the brass isn't comfortable with? Especially if the brass don't find out about it for a decent period of time, such as several months or longer? Could that be the situation here?

More likely, it's just some sort of web error that cropped up in the translation from the old site to the new one . . . but, it makes me wonder . . .

Asmor

First Post
Hmm, well, nevermind then! :)

It does raise the question (in my mind at least) on how much freedom WotC staffers have on their company blogs. I doubt WotC makes them submit their posts for review before publication, or anything like that . . . but what happens if a staffer posts something the brass isn't comfortable with? Especially if the brass don't find out about it for a decent period of time, such as several months or longer? Could that be the situation here?

More likely, it's just some sort of web error that cropped up in the translation from the old site to the new one . . . but, it makes me wonder . . .

I generally like to go with Hanlon's Razor in cases such as these. Too many people are entirely too willing to believe there's some great conspiracy behind everything. I mean, for Pelor's sake, they still haven't fixed the problem with the RSS feeds updating at midnight eastern and the website updating at midnight pacific!

Dire Bare

Legend
I generally like to go with Hanlon's Razor in cases such as these. Too many people are entirely too willing to believe there's some great conspiracy behind everything. I mean, for Pelor's sake, they still haven't fixed the problem with the RSS feeds updating at midnight eastern and the website updating at midnight pacific!

Oh yes! That is annoying! I get all excited when I check my RSS feed, only to find links to . . . . nothing . . .

But I'll live! Somehow . . .

Remove ads