D&D 5E WotC: Why Dark Sun Hasn't Been Revived

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era. I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
darksuntrouble-1414371970.jpg

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era.

I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to be true to the source material and also meet our ethical and inclusion standards... We know there’s love out there for it and god we would love to make those people happy, and also we gotta be responsible.

You can listen to the clip here.

Scribe

Legend
And like I said claiming because some random internet guy said something... it's accepted or supported by the majority is ridiculous.

100% agreed! Its not supported by the majority. Just look at the poll results. Doesnt matter though if there is a vocal component out there against it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Lol... like Oriental Adventures??
Yes. Exactly like the Oriental Adventures written in the last 5 years. Oh, wait...
I think its beyond ridiculous to boil it down to the race of the authors without acknowledging if the material is or isn't actually appropriately written.
And yet a whole lot of people do exactly that these days. I don't agree with them, but I see it a lot. It's enough that I wouldn't write such an adventure even if I were offered money to do it. No matter how much research and respect I give, there would be those who would be angry with me for doing it.

Scribe

Legend
That is it.

They aren't willing to put in the work to make it responsible and make both old and new fans happy for meager profits.

1. We have no idea on the profits. Will it match what they want/expect? Who knows.
2. They are willing (despite saying they want to??) or they simply cannot?

Imaro

Legend
100% agreed! Its not supported by the majority. Just look at the poll results. Doesnt matter though if there is a vocal component out there against it.

Wait... There are people of Athasian descent being chosen to wirte Dark Sun books before those who are actually living in Athas and knowledgeable of its culture?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Between Magic and D&D, WotC produces the cutting edge of modern fantasy art today. Their product lines sell for art as much as anything else.
WotC and cutting edge have nothing to do with its each other, to the point where that idea is hilarious to me.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Interesting. You've linked to a thread that both you and I participated in. Do you recall the context? I do. It wasn't about gaming materials.
The entire thread was about gaming materials, i.e. controversial content in such materials. That some people (including you) saw fit to extend that topic to include "bigoted nonsense" is a very clear indicator of how "controversial content" was viewed in terms of gaming materials.
You indicated that if someone is expressing a bigoted opinion -- the example on the table was that Jews are greedy -- the best response is a well-researched rebuttal. It had nothing to do with equating undesirable gaming content with bigoted nonsense.
Yeah, no. That the people against controversial content spun that out to try and include that particular example as being indicative of what said content included is all the proof you could need that claims of moral corruption were being put on the table. I can understand not wanting to think of it in that manner, but it is an accurate representation of the position that you and others took in that thread.
No, it's not clear. That's what you've inferred. But one can point out that the foundation of some gaming materials relies on racist tropes and bioessentialism without casting moral judgement on the creative team.
First of all, it's "judgment," not "judgement." Sorry, but that always bugs me.

Secondly, leaving aside issues surrounding the correct identification of such tropes, and any discussion of any inherent moral issues they have, the idea that one can cast judgment on them without actually impugning the people writing them is a distinction that is lost more often than not. Even if you cite the creators as "well intentioned, but ignorant" or something like that, it's still casting judgment on their character, creating a chilling effect with contributes to a climate of fear which is ultimately to the detriment of the community. Saying "it doesn't happen" ignores that coded language and dogwhistling are things.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1. We have no idea on the profits. Will it match what they want/expect? Who knows.
2. They are willing (despite saying they want to??) or they simply cannot?
They are not willing.

WOTC has shown time and time again that in 5e they aren't willing to design anything hard that isn't "mandatory".

WOTC is not willing to do the work and neither are most of the people begging for Dark Sun.

Scribe

Legend
Wait... There are people of Athasian descent being chosen to wirte Dark Sun books before those who are actually living in Athas and knowledgeable of its culture?

lol no the point is that the majority dont have a problem with the content. However Wizards (rightfully) is afraid of what would be vocally broadcast on various social media platforms, and so despite wanting to do Dark Sun, they know that its not culturally a tenable option. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads