D&D 5E WotC: Why Dark Sun Hasn't Been Revived

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era. I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
darksuntrouble-1414371970.jpg

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era.

I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to be true to the source material and also meet our ethical and inclusion standards... We know there’s love out there for it and god we would love to make those people happy, and also we gotta be responsible.

You can listen to the clip here.

ashenfrontiers

Today we’ve updated our website (www.ashenfrontiers.com) with information about the two game systems Ashen Frontiers will support, and provided a preview of the six classes for the game!
Bought a publisher account, but apparently it has to be a new account (or I'm not smart enough to link everything together). Anyways, this is me with my Ashen Frontiers hat on.

Please, maybe some players use DS to play their own version of the Gor saga, but that is not fault by WotC.

What if now I say "Ixalan" is a "theme park experience" of the conquest of America? Or we could talk about "the maid's tale" (the true intention by the author was a a critique against the Iranian regime).

And what about the cyberpunk stories set in a future distopian dictatorship where political prisoners are sentenced to forced labor?

Or a new story set in New Capena, where the country is invaded by a dictatorship, and one of the first actions by the resistence is to rescue and free the prisons of war, who fought to try stop the invasion, sent to forced works (= slavery).

I do not accept being accused of frivolity. My parents and grandparents not only lived in a dictatorship, but also my grandparent's generation suffered the worst genocide, or attempt of genocide, in our History. When a Catholic priest or a nun is showed in a fictional work with a.... bad image.... it is an insult for all the people who paid with their lives the hate against the faith. That hate is killing more people than the racism or the homophobia, even in the last year.

Are you against a videogame where America is invaded by the III Reich(Wolfstein II: the new Colossus)? Or conquered by North-Korea (videogame Homefront).

Do you allow in your game a villain group as the Magisterium(His dark materials) or the reverend Leland Drud (White Wolf 2: the myth of the white wolf, played by Alfred Molina), or don't you because it is offensive?

Do you know the episode "the slave island" of X-Men the animated serie? It was about slavery.

Are you really coherent and sensible when you say to others about when any thing is offensive/frivolous or not?

Do you play with mummy monsters in your game, or instead are you politically correct and do you say "mummified creature"?

British Museum stops using the word 'MUMMY' out of 'respect' for dead

Vaalingrade

Legend
I'm pretty tired of this false equivalency wherein because I'd like WotC to lay off having funtimes with the system that still has repercussions on my actual real life up to and including the point where I'm paranoid about having my hands visible at all times in case someone wants to take the opportunity to legally murder me for carrying a subway sandwich (ah yes, that happened near where I live), I'm somehow required to account for and feel the exact same way about every bad thing you can think of.

So stop. Just stop.

Sorry, but I don't know you are talking about. And I have suffered psychological abuse. Once even I went into a berserker state, literally "blinded by the rage". I didn't sense the hit in the front, and I have got still the scar. We were in a judgment because that incident, and I won it.

We need a debate as civilized people, because if if we make concessions too soon, others will demand more and more, until reaching ridiculous levels.

Should be cancelled "The Mask of the Red Death" because in the Victorian age there is a complete genocide in Tasmanian? What if I say I feel unconfortable, not offended but only unconfortable, with Yagno Petrovna, the dark lord of G'Henna (Ravenloft)? Or let's imagine I start about Castilla, one of the nations from the rpg "7th Sea" (now by Chaosium) and I say Castilla is showed with lots of tropes and predjudices according to the wasps' vision against Spanish empire, the supreme power in that age.

But I can't ask the censorship against all the things I dislike, can I? But I can try to explain the reasons because I am not happy with certain elements. Would you accept in a future in the setting Ixalan there was an invasion by turbant-wearer vampires? Somebody could say it is offensive for the turbant-wearers from the real life, couldn't he? Would you allow invader vampires with turbants in your game?

In the Harry Potter's saga there is "fictional racism", we have got the "pureblood", the "half-blood" and the "muggleborns" (and the main characters are one of each type). Should the franchise be boycotted because the writters said any thing? But the last videogame has sold very well, maybe because nobdy cared about that trouble.

There are bad people who hate others, but that happens even in zones where everybody is the same ethnicity, culture and religion, they will be willing to fight one against others, only because they favorite sport teams are rival, or because that nerd boy in the classroom has better grades (the syndrome of the tall poppies, hostility against the one who stands out above the rest, by his own merits, by envious and rivals).

If you really want to stop that madness, then the imposition of new taboos is not the right way, but promoting values as the good sense and the respect for the human dignity.

I am convinced the slavery and racism can be showed in the speculative fiction, even in titles for +12y, with the right and necesary respect for the victims of serious injustices in the real life.

Last edited:

Raiztt

Adventurer
Yes. That is the problem.

You aren't listening to people explaining what the problem is and just forging ahead in defense of getting the thing you want regardless of how it affects others.
He's defending his position, you are defending yours. If he's guilty of not listening to you, aren't you just as guilty of not listening to him?

It's possible that he is [listening to people explaining what the problem is] and he is just not agreeing with you that it is a problem.

Also, the charge of that he is [forging ahead in defense of getting the thing you want regardless of how it affects others.] is just as available to him towards you as it is for you towards him.

It isn't the case that your position is just obviously correct to everyone - even if it's obviously correct to you.

Is it not the case that you are both saying "WotC should do what I want them to do"? If you say "yes, but my position is the correct one/correct desire" that would require you to actually demonstrate that - which is exactly what LuisCarlos17f is arguing about.

Maybe it is because English is not my first languange, and also because I have learn to untrust people who start to say "this should be censored because it is offensive"... but after I see other things offensive for my own opinion but totally allowed. And I ask coherence and clarity to avoid possible abuses in the name of the "modern sensibilities". I start to worry when I read "we want to create inclusive content", because then the majority starts to be excluded.

My opinion is we should find a way where slavery, bigotry and other things could be showed in the (+12y) fiction, and with the right and necessary respect for the victims who have suffered serious injustices in the real life.

The old cinematographic saga of "the planet of the apes" was about the slavery. Batlefield: Earth was a sci-fi movie where all mankin was slavered by the aliens. Wouldn't you allow a Star Frontiers game where the PCs start a slave rebellion against the alien invaders?

1679684162041.png

Detroit: Become Human is a videogame about AI slaves.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads