WotC yanks the rug out

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Specifically, just to clarify, I'm saying my preference was for adventures of the original style and quality. I.e. there is a difference between what D&D was in the 70's and what it was in the 80's and later, etc. after Tsojcanth you'd be hard pressed to find a "drop and play" module again. Maybe. I don't know, point one out. Everything else became a domain of of the overly involved type fans who join clubs and wear funny costumes, etc. You can't blame me.
Fair enough, that's certainly a perfectly valid opinion. But may I gently suggest that "lack of any adventures I like" would have been better phrasing than "lack of any adventures of original style and quality".

I can think of plenty of things that I don't really like, but which would probably be considered original and of high quality. Lord of the Rings, for example (which I think really needed a good editor), or Avatar (which I thought had a very sub-par last third), or... okay, maybe I'll stop now, before I get lynched :].

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Fair enough, that's certainly a perfectly valid opinion. But may I gently suggest that "lack of any adventures I like" would have been better phrasing than "lack of any adventures of original style and quality".

I can think of plenty of things that I don't really like, but which would probably be considered original and of high quality. Lord of the Rings, for example (which I think really needed a good editor), or Avatar (which I thought had a very sub-par last third), or... okay, maybe I'll stop now, before I get lynched :].

Oh my god, so much agreement on both~

Janx

Hero
Dang, if only there was a similar book that already contained 1st edition rules, we could be playing with it while we wait 3 more months! Wishful thinking i guess....

Why does anybody think a new WotC released 1E bookis a big deal? You can get them used for $10 still.

I should think that everybody who wanted one already owns one.

was

Adventurer
Actually, I was really looking forward to this release and have already paid for my copy at my FLGS. I am quite surprised that they rolled back the release only three weeks before it was scheduled to hit the shelves. I cannot imagine the grief this move is going to cause game stores who have already taken orders on this product.
I also really don't understand how they are 'remastering' the edition. It's not like it needs intensive beta-testing or a great deal of editing, being based upon an earlier publication. Unless, it's another WotC advertising strategy trying to build up greater anticipation for the release and funding of the charity. Maybe the pre-order sales just weren't strong enough and they want more time to build the hype.

Yes, I already own a copy. But, it's beat all to heck and I'd like a new one.

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
Why do I think its good?

1) Its exactly what I asked for (somebody dig up the thread.)

2) This means that there is a movement to make official D&D better. Its a step in the right direction. (Simply put, perhaps the latest version will have less character stat emphasis and more environmental content emphasis like the original game did.)

3) Some people only like "current trends" and what better way than a new cover?

catsclaw227

First Post
I had a couple PHBs marked for birthday gifts in the next two months.

So, yeah, it really bothers me.
But, you know what? When it comes to things like print schedules and game release dates, both of which are notorious for delays, when you preorder counting on a specific date, your rolling the dice. :p

Would you have preferred if your new gifts fell apart in 2 months due to bad binding or if the OCR/CopyEdit/convert-to-digital-text process wasn't thorough and some tables or charts had bad information?

Last edited:

Bregh

Explorer
But, you know what? When it comes to things like print schedules and game release dates, both of which are notorious for delays, when you preorder counting on a specific date, your rolling the dice.

Would you have preferred if your new gifts fell apart in 2 months due to bad binding or if the OCR/CopyEdit/convert-to-digital-text process wasn't thorough and some tables or charts had bad information?

Don't be disingenuous. There's considerable difference between a few days, or even weeks, and three months. And this does little to inspire confidence in the professionalism of a company that purports to be interested in earning my buying dollar. Especially since I'm already not buying any of their other product.

Am I shocked? Surprised? Not hardly. Disappointed? Definitely.

As for rolling the dice--I paid money for product, and reserve the right to be disappointed. And to express that disappointment when it's brushed off.

catsclaw227

First Post
Don't be disingenuous. There's considerable difference between a few days, or even weeks, and three months. And this does little to inspire confidence in the professionalism of a company that purports to be interested in earning my buying dollar. Especially since I'm already not buying any of their other product.

Am I shocked? Surprised? Not hardly. Disappointed? Definitely.

As for rolling the dice--I paid money for product, and reserve the right to be disappointed. And to express that disappointment when it's brushed off.
I am seriously not trying to be disingenuous. You must've started replying before I added my smiley to show that it wasn't meant to be rude.

I guess I have preordered enough stuff in my time that ended up delayed, I simply don't preorder for gifts. I only gift items that are available, or in the case of something like this, it would have been an amazon gift card with the caveat that it's for a specific gift item that isn't released yet and if it's delayed they can use it for something else. My friends understand well enough that it isn't impersonal.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, just sayin' that when you preorder a book or game, you can't count on the release date.

Also curious, though, to my previous question back to you. Would you have preferred gifting a poorly bound product or poorly edited product rather than a delayed one?

I'm guessing they were your friends, so I can't imagine that they would be upset if you give them a nice card and the amazon receipt or whatever showing that you meant to get it to them on time but, it got delayed. Heck, it might add to the excitement of a nice gift coming in a few months!

Last edited:

Remove ads