• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotCs early days, and saving D&D

Dausuul

Legend
Reading that first link, it sound like he's saying the point of the OGL was to remove D&D from ever being at the mercy of corporate neglect or mismanagement again.

(Let us now assume that 50 pages of edition warring follow, in which the following claims are made, rebutted, re-rebutted, and argued at interminable length: Pathfinder is the true heir to D&D, the OGL was a business mistake that Hasbro is now determined to correct, 4E is the true heir to D&D, Hasbro is a soul-sucking evil entity that evilly sucks souls, people who play any given edition including Pathfinder are having badwrongfun, AD&D is the true heir to D&D, 4E is going out of business, 4E is doing just fine, 5E is right around the corner, 5E is on the horizon, 5E will never happen, and the true heir to D&D is the Chainmail wargame from whence it came. Okay? Good. Glad we got that out of the way.)

Admittedly I'm reading a lot into a short sentence, but we'll get the details eventually.

Last edited:

AeroDm

First Post
Great read so far. One of those things I wish I hadn't discovered until he told the whole story. I hate waiting. :)

If Peter had really cared about the D&D brand, he would never have sold out to Hasbro. Hasbro will never relinquish the D&D trademark. It is locked away forever. If Hasbro shuts down the D&D publishing group at Wizards, D&D effectively disappears from the market. Sure, the "game" would live on as Pathfinder and Mutants and Masterminds and Spycraft and a dozen clones and retroclones. But D&D itself would go away. So I can't wait to see part two of this blog post.

Reynard

Legend
jmucchiello said:
If Peter had really cared about the D&D brand, he would never have sold out to Hasbro. Hasbro will never relinquish the D&D trademark. It is locked away forever. If Hasbro shuts down the D&D publishing group at Wizards, D&D effectively disappears from the market. Sure, the "game" would live on as Pathfinder and Mutants and Masterminds and Spycraft and a dozen clones and retroclones. But D&D itself would go away. So I can't wait to see part two of this blog post.

But if the game lives on, the brand is irrelevant.

Remove ads