WotC's Financial Crisis??

jeffsforehead

First Post
Hello, I'm new to these boards but I have been lurking around for a few days. One of the things I've noticed is several mentions of WotC's woeful financial state. I haven't kept up with things roleplaying related in the last few years and I was wondering if someone could explain the situation to me? I'd be very interested to know.

Do the kids even play Magic these days?

Whatever it is, it's all speculation. Hasbro doesn't report earnings split out amongst it's divisions, so we have no official word on WotC's financial "crisis" insofar as WotC specifically is involved.

Actually, whenever WotC employees post on the subject, they tend to dispel any rumors that WotC as a division is unprofitable or that D&D as a line isn't doing well.

Joshua Dyal said:
Whatever it is, it's all speculation. Hasbro doesn't report earnings split out amongst it's divisions, so we have no official word on WotC's financial "crisis" insofar as WotC specifically is involved.

Actually, whenever WotC employees post on the subject, they tend to dispel any rumors that WotC as a division is unprofitable or that D&D as a line isn't doing well.
Yeah, but what are they supposed to say?

"I'll answer that question about WotC's fiscal health right after I wrap up this session on monster.com."

Krug

Newshound
Frankly I think it's quite healthy.Hasbro seems to have been even more aggressive in converting D&D for Computer games, and I think if D&D Online is done properly, it'll generate quite some income for them.

I also think Neopets TCG will do decently enough.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Man, I haven't seena WotC in Crisis post for ages!

This should be a treat...like watching old episodes of the original Star Trek...:)

Old SChool Baby!!!

Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Yeah, but what are they supposed to say?

"I'll answer that question about WotC's fiscal health right after I wrap up this session on monster.com."
Fair enough, but any other report you hear is completely speculative. Even if they aren't reporting the straight scoop (I believe they are) at least they have first hand and reliable knowledge about it.

Teflon Billy said:
Man, I haven't seena WotC in Crisis post for ages!

This should be a treat...like watching old episodes of the original Star Trek...:)

Old SChool Baby!!!

heh, my thoughts exactly.

joe b.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Joshua Dyal said:
Yes, but that's usually only weeks before those same employees get laid off. ;)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
arcady said:
Yes, but that's usually only weeks before those same employees get laid off. ;)

So true. So funny:)

I recall this conversation before going a little something like this...

(Some guy): "There's always someone running around claiming the sky is falling! There's never any proof or confirmation..."

(Colonel Hardisson): "Yeah, then the sky falls and another round of layoffs hit"

I wonder if another round of layoffs will hit to coincide with this thread (as has been the case in the past). Though honestly: who is left to cut?

Remove ads