D&D 5E WotC's Kate Welch Hints at Celebrity-Written 2020 Adventure Book

Well, now, this is interesting; this seems to suggest a collection of smaller, new adventures, and the people involved are exciting: True Blood's Deborah Ann Woll and Critical Role's Marisha Ray.

Well, now, this is interesting; this seems to suggest a collection of smaller, new adventures, and the people involved are exciting: True Blood's Deborah Ann Woll and Critical Role's Marisha Ray.

800px-Deborah_Ann_Woll_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

According to comicbook.com "...An upcoming Dungeons & Dragons book will feature adventures written by actresses Deborah Ann Woll and Marisha Ray. Earlier this week, D&D designer Kate Welch announced that Woll and Ray were working on an official D&D product, which will come out in 2020. No details were given about the theme of the upcoming book, but Welch noted that the book would feature work by many writers who hadn't had adventures published by Dungeons & Dragons before. Welch also noted that neither Woll nor Ray had written a published adventure before, but both submitted exceptional work."

Full Twitch broadcast is at "Spoilers and Swag".

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It doesn't exclude men, but it would be perfectly fine if it did. I want new adventures written from different perspectives.

On the topic of celebrities - We're talking about a group of people whose (very successful job) is to tell stories. Yes, I want them writing D&D adventures.

Whatever it turns out to be, it very much sounds like it will be next year's "Tales from the Yawning Portal" or "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" style of adventure module. Which should be exciting since it sounds like it will have all-new adventures this time around.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Whatever it turns out to be, it very much sounds like it will be next year's "Tales from the Yawning Portal" or "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" style of adventure module. Which should be exciting since it sounds like it will have all-new adventures this time around.

Hard to speculate about "slots," since WotC has changed their schedule every year, and talked about going to 4 books a year.

Hard to speculate about "slots," since WotC has changed their schedule every year, and talked about going to 4 books a year.

True, but it does seem like they're trying to do at least one "collection of adventures" module a year, especially if that's what this is. It also looks like we're already moving to the "4 books a year" model since, with Descent into Avernus and the Eberron hardcover coming out still, that'll make four this year (I know Acq Inc was a "bonus" this year, but it still counts). Considering 5e's proliferation, I think it can support that model long-term, too.

Urriak

Explorer
True, but it does seem like they're trying to do at least one "collection of adventures" module a year, especially if that's what this is. It also looks like we're already moving to the "4 books a year" model since, with Descent into Avernus and the Eberron hardcover coming out still, that'll make four this year (I know Acq Inc was a "bonus" this year, but it still counts). Considering 5e's proliferation, I think it can support that model long-term, too.

I would be wary in counting this year's material in predicting next year's. Acq Inc. wasn't really worked on much by WotC core staff (as far as I know), and the Eberron book is using a lot of material already made in UAs and the PDF. Then there's the Rick and Morty book.

I'd guess that they'll probably stick to a 3-book a year model for next year. One entirely new Adventure, one adventure-book that is more editing adventures for WotC staff (this collection of adventures book). And then the third is either a new monster book (like Volo's or MtoF), or a new supplement book (Xanathar's), or a new setting book. There can be more books than that, but they'd be more in the vein of Acq. Inc. or Rick & Morty, meaning not as applicable to all tables and having much more outside-influences.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would be wary in counting this year's material in predicting next year's. Acq Inc. wasn't really worked on much by WotC core staff (as far as I know), and the Eberron book is using a lot of material already made in UAs and the PDF. Then there's the Rick and Morty book.

I'd guess that they'll probably stick to a 3-book a year model for next year. One entirely new Adventure, one adventure-book that is more editing adventures for WotC staff (this collection of adventures book). And then the third is either a new monster book (like Volo's or MtoF), or a new supplement book (Xanathar's), or a new setting book. There can be more books than that, but they'd be more in the vein of Acq. Inc. or Rick & Morty, meaning not as applicable to all tables and having much more outside-influences.

Nate Stewart said earlier this year they were planning to move to 4 books year in the future, as in 2018, but would work on the pacing of the schedule. Next year is likely to see some changes in their pattern (which has constantly evolved anyways).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I would love to see a wide variety of contributors/authors. I pick and choose from everything for my own campaigns; having a more diverse selection gives me more reason to purchase this product.

Remove ads

Remove ads