D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019: "Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm...

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Edit: Yes, the style guide applies to the Forgotten Realms. Yet another thing to make that setting unappealing to me. It's a shame simplicity rules over mystery and wonder, over the excitement of discovery, and over rewarding players who recall the qualities of potions they previously encountered.
Sure, and I don't want to come across as disapproving of the way you do things at your table. Whatever makes you and your players happy is obviously the right way to go for you and your players. Rock on!

But I just want to say that for some tables, there's plenty of "mystery and wonder" in the Forgotten Realms. And just remembering that a healing potion is red and glittery is as much as some players can handle.

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bedard236

First Post
WotC has based most adventures in the Forgotten Realms, with one set in Ravenloft, home of the vampire Strahd. They've also released a beta version of the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron vivavideo.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
WotC has based most adventures in the Forgotten Realms, with one set in Ravenloft, home of the vampire Strahd. They've also released a beta version of the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron.

Welcome to the board, Bedard236! Have some XP.

I think they are almost definitely thinking about Dark Sun at some point, given the way they've been tinkering with psionics.

There's also the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, which might hint at further support for settings based on Magic: the Gathering.

Remove ads

Remove ads