WotC's Secret Lore Book

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Impressively clickbaity headline on that article!

What does it mean if Orcus doesn't know he's not aware of some things? I mean, he appears in every setting except if he doesn't! Blimey. I must know!

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
One Lore Book to rule them all and in the darkness bind them. I wants it. I needs it. I most haves it. Gives it to us.
The problem is that once you give away the secrets, they aren't secret any more. It is attractive and tantalizing while you don't know it, but once you do? Meh.

It is a document they use to create new, yet consistent, materials for us. No, don't publish that, because it will take away much of the "new" for us.

Parmandur

Legend
It is interesting that they have a Master Lore Bible going, but that's not really news: they were making that during the playtest when Wyatt was surveying people about monster lore, or Perkins planning out the first five years of Adventure products (which is extended now since they stopped doing two storylines a year, the original plan would have been for at least 11 storylines by the end of 2019 but we will have 8 now). This also explains certain interesting slips, like when Mearls' discussed a "Planetouched" race that they have to replicate 2E style Tieflings, and so on.

Dausuul

Legend
Drat, I was hoping this would be a book full of inside stories of the history of D&D, like the ones Jim Ward has been putting up.

aco175

Adventurer
Drat, I was hoping this would be a book full of inside stories of the history of D&D, like the ones Jim Ward has been putting up.
That is not to say that there are no more Jim Ward stories, but if there were they might be told. If they are not told, they could still exist, but maybe not.

Jacob Lewis

The One with the Force
So if a tree falls in Waterdeep but nobody hears it, how many more novels about a dark elf ranger can we endure?

Parmandur

Legend
I'll settle for just a Monster Manual II that compiles all of the monsters who's stats are scattered across the adventures to date.
They already have two of those, probably more on the way. Alternatively, D&D Beyond.

darjr

I crit!
What I'd love to see is the living 15 year plan. I think that it's changed some since the next playtest, but I think many of the things that were in it have come to pass. Also I'd love to know the things that have come to pass that were not in it.

The entire premise here is that somehow Wizards controls the lore in my game. While that happens when I play/run AL, there's not a snowball's chance in Avernus of that being the case for my own game.

Parmandur

Legend
The entire premise here is that somehow Wizards controls the lore in my game. While that happens when I play/run AL, there's not a snowball's chance in Avernus of that being the case for my own game.
I'd say it is father the opposite: they gave this whole multiverse approach that allows them to publish products with links, but without overdetermining what "really" happened, as was the case in earlier editions.

Eltab

Explorer
From If I Was The Evil Overlord:

Within my fortress, I will place a thick binder / CD / thumb drive / other data storage device where it can easily be found, and label it Operation Overlord SECRET PLANS. It will be booby-trapped. Many foolish short-sighted heroes will fall for this. For those who survive the experience, the contents will actually be a recipe book or something else innocuous. Heroes who are fully persuaded of their high intelligence will go crazy trying to figure out the secret code, which does not actually exist. (If they DO find a secret code, I will get them to show me what it is.)

My actual Secret Plans will be kept in my personal chambers and will be labelled something like Garbage Disposal Proposals.

digitalelf

Explorer
So where was this supposed book of secret FR lore dating back over 40 odd years when WotC published the 4th edition FR campaign setting?

Oops! Did I actually hit the Submit Reply button here?? I'm sorry. :angel:

Advertisement