D&D General Would It Matter To You if D&D Books Were Illustrated by AI Instead of Humans?

Would It Matter To You if D&D Books Were Illustrated by AI Instead of Humans?

• No

Votes: 58 29.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 142 71.0%

Yeah, I think machine learning and artificial intelligence (whatever the difference is, if any) have already infiltrated or lives so much that we use it several times a day without even knowing it.

I'm not sure it's a bad thing, or a good thing. It's a thing.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Argh! You're correct. Just tested with thisisnotaperson....

View attachment 260066

...well at least ONE of them is not a person.
Someone laughed at this so it came up in my alerts and I made the mistake of looking at this picture again. I didn't realize when I first posted this that the abomination in the background has TEETH for the left portion of its left eye! Gah! I need to unfollow this thread for my sanity's sake.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Someone laughed at this so it came up in my alerts and I made the mistake of looking at this picture again. I didn't realize when I first posted this that the abomination in the background has TEETH for the left portion of its left eye! Gah! I need to unfollow this thread for my sanity's sake.
There's a fine line between "artificial intelligence" and "freakish, unnatural intelligence."

Does a program like this mash-up the works of artists it was trained on to produce an image? In my understanding (and, to be clear, I don't understand it) is that it predicts the color of pixels based on the words in the prompt which have been previously associated (trained) with works of art. I don't think "mash-up" is an accurate term to describe what these programs are doing. The term evokes collaging, which I don't think is correct.

see

Pedantic Grognard
I really don't pay enough attention to the art to manage to care, but then, I imprinted on RPGs in the 1980s.

As far as the social and economic effects of AI, I'm mostly expecting some idiot AI researchers to manage to get us all turned into paperclips, given the blatant differential in the rates of AI progress and AI alignment progress over the last ten years, and particularly given how the advancement in AI progress has come from adopting training methods that leave humans less able to understand what the AI is actually doing to produce its results.

Dausuul

Legend
I really don't pay enough attention to the art to manage to care, but then, I imprinted on RPGs in the 1980s.

As far as the social and economic effects of AI, I'm mostly expecting some idiot AI researchers to manage to get us all turned into paperclips, given the blatant differential in the rates of AI progress and AI alignment progress over the last ten years, and particularly given how the advancement in AI progress has come from adopting training methods that leave humans less able to understand what the AI is actually doing to produce its results.
I am much more worried about AI working perfectly as intended under the control of its creators.

The point where we are at risk of a "paper clip apocalypse" is still quite a ways off, and may never come at all. The point where tech giants and oppressive governments can wield AI to exploit the rest of humanity is already here, and it's going to get a lot worse.

Zardnaar

Legend
do you know what bugs me why is it ai invading all the jobs we honestly like doing and not the jobs we hate?

Well it's subjective.

As I understand it AI art can be plagiarism at least how it's trained.

But training humans generally copy until they can do whatever.

If the AIbcan do it not sure how it's to different to mechanization.

There's a lot of "I'm fine with progress until it obsoletes me or something I care about".

dave2008

Legend
Even if I put the important socioeconomic issues aside, though, I just don't think AI-created artwork looks all that great. Even the stuff on display in this thread, presented as examples of "the good stuff," is...only passable. At best. It doesn't do it for me.
Yep, right now most AI art (particularly fantasy art) seems off to me. Technically it looks nice, but the design is off. Now that will probably change in the future.

dave2008

Legend
Everything about what they are doing with AI, everything, is problematic. I only regret that my son will have to raise children in this world, as its sure as hell not going to improve.

I mean honestly folks we are going to be just handing the keys over to tech, and we should all be aware (even if we wont admit it openly) just how risky that is at this point.
My son is going into CS and specializing in machine learning. I feel he just might be able to monkey around with the ghost in the machine if he needs too. That, and the fact he will make a lot more money than me, make me think he will do OK. Honestly, I am more concerned about other things we (humanity) have screwed up than AI. One can live without out AI, on the other hand we are actively trying to make our planet unbearable for humanity. That has me more concerned.

MGibster

Legend
There was an issue of Judge Dredd from more than 20 years ago featuring a visitor to Mega-City One who ran into all sorts of trouble. He was an artist, and he brought his illustrations to a publisher in the hopes of landing a job. The publisher turned the illustrations over to his robots who began mass producing art in a similar style. This was the final straw for the artist who had suffered indignity after indignity while in Mega-City One, and he ends up assaulting the publisher and being sentenced to prison by a street judge (maybe Dredd himself but it's been a while).

I can't help but think of that Dredd story every single time I see AI art.

Remove ads